Building from Source on Linux Mint 20.2 Xfce 64bit, segmentation fault after running

IvYWing

Hi, I just learned to build OBS Studio from github and been using it for a couple of days now. I use it to dual stream to my friend across a network. His Desktop to me, and my desktop to him. We use NDI-Plugin, which he is on Windows 10, and I am on Mint.
This did work for a week or more.
Things were not good though, my sound I was getting was choppy. His was good.
Aside from the Video Compression, the video feed was quite clear. This was problematic in the very beginning, since I used a 17" CRT and he was streaming from a Superwide screen. So I got two widestreen monitors and was streaming to and from 1920x1080.
Unfortunately, NDI still compresses especially red colors and it gives off a sort of Jpeg look, but still good.

Anyway, the problem is that I decided to build from source to install a new plugin that might help our audio issues, as well as help management with dual streaming audio, that is, playing games and music at the same time. We were able to perform this good without any feedback.

The plugin we wanted to use is Audio-Monitoring. He installed this easily on Windows. The install for Linux from sourcecode however asked that we place the source code into the obs-studio source code and build it from the beginning. Which I did, by following their instructions. Again, this may help fix the choppy sound, or it may not, but it does have a way to choose which devices to play from.

We each have speakers, and tv/monitor speakers. So we planned to have (Their) Incoming audio play from the monitor speaker on the other monitor, and have our own sound play from our regular speakers.

When building OBS from source, everything looks good to me. When running it, though, it segmentation faults. No indication what the issue is.
I have some ideas, could it be the audio-monitor? I followed their instructions though.
I'm a bit tired of using packages to install programs, in passing, I had an issue with NDI being deprecated, this is why I am building from Sourcecode.
At first, I performed a new build without deleting anything. I got the segmentation fault back then, so I performed a deletion of obs everywhere in Linux Mint. I could be further aided by some help there, though, if I wasn't thorough enough. Then I performed a clean new build of obs-studio. But I also installed audio-monitor and ndi plugins. Should I try deleting everything and JUST build install OBS?
Not sure what to do next.

To build on Linux Mint, I always use Debian.

Code:
ivywing@TheBlackBoxPC:~/Desktop$ obs
qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin
Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/locale/en-US.ini
Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/locale/en-US.ini
Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/locale.ini
Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/locale.ini
Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/themes/Dark.qss
Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/themes/Dark.qss
info: CPU Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz
info: CPU Speed: 3721.417MHz
info: Physical Cores: 4, Logical Cores: 8
info: Physical Memory: 32055MB Total, 24882MB Free
info: Kernel Version: Linux 5.4.0-90-generic
info: Distribution: "Linux Mint" "20.2"
info: Session Type: x11
info: Window System: X11.0, Vendor: The X.Org Foundation, Version: 1.20.11
info: Qt Version: 5.12.8 (runtime), 5.12.8 (compiled)
info: Portable mode: false
qt5ct: D-Bus global menu: no
Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/themes/Dark/no_sources.svg
Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/themes/Dark/no_sources.svg
QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_tbar_position_valueChanged(int)
QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_actionShowTransitionProperties_triggered()
QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_actionHideTransitionProperties_triggered()
info: OBS 27.1.3-134-ge09b95206-modified (linux)
info: ---------------------------------
info: audio settings reset:
    samples per sec: 48000
    speakers:        2
info: Initializing OpenGL...
info: Loading up OpenGL on adapter NVIDIA Corporation GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2
info: OpenGL loaded successfully, version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 460.91.03, shading language 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
info: video settings reset:
    base resolution:   1920x1080
    output resolution: 1920x1080
    downscale filter:  Lanczos
    fps:               60/1
    format:            NV12
    YUV mode:          709/Partial
info: NV12 texture support not available
info: Audio monitoring device:
    name: Monitor of Built-in Audio Analog Stereo
    id: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3.analog-stereo.monitor
info: [Audio Monitor] loaded version 0.7.1
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

OBS-Studio 27.1.3
OBS-ndi
Audio-Monitoring plugin

Attachments

• 2021-11-09 23-04-42.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 13

IvYWing

Really if people who are into high end desktop gaming computers want to offer advice, feel free to help me out.
I just condition that to please make it about how to fix it for Linux Mint. Since I also still have that other issue about the choppy sound.
I don't know if that's caused by PulseAudio, or what. But I tried on both speakers, and it gives "underwater sounding" audio. Which I guess is what led to this happening with obs not even running.

IvYWing

+If anyone has any recommendations of Advanced Configuration Settings to make a Local Area Network livestream have perfect quality that would be great.

IvYWing

Ok I just build OBS ALL OVER AGAIN...
Clean install, used Catfish to fish out all OBS files wherever they may be found, deleted them all.
I come back to my thread with new news... OBS is now built again with NO PLUGINS. I repeat, no plugins at all. It runs again. So, we now know that it was a plugin perhaps.
Will check back in after installing plugins, one at a time.

IvYWing

OBS-RSTPServer
Still pending an install but since this plugin didn't break it last time I'm Early Greenlighting it even before I can get some help building it from source properly.

Cross-Linking to Thread:

IvYWing

OBS-RSTPServer
Still pending an install but since this plugin didn't break it last time I'm Early Greenlighting it even before I can get some help building it from source properly.

Cross-Linking to Thread:
RSTPSERVER IS GREEN. OBS is OK and RUNS.

IvYWing

Ok I am back to up and running OBS from source code. I still have choppy sound that sounds like it is underwater from the incoming streamer though. Anyone got any ideas how to fix PulseAudio in Linux Mint over OBS-NDI plugin? It's not the main topic, which has been satisfied but still enriches the quality of the thread.
ALso what is the deal with "Awaiting approval before being displayed publicly." Holy shit someone wake the fuck up and approve the thread already. Thank Jesus!
Plz rename the thread to: Building from Source on Linux Mint 20.2 Xfce 64bit, segmentation fault after running [Solved : audio-monitoring plugin crashed OBS, and removed]