Resource icon

All Versions Build ffmpeg for NVENC support in debian

arf20

arf20 submitted a new resource:

Build ffmpeg for NVENC support in debian - Build ffmpeg for NVENC support in debian

hese are the steps to build a ffmpeg deb package with NVENC support to make hardware acceleration available for OBS Required an nVIDIA card with a reasonably updated driver
Install nv encoder headers matching your driver:
git clone --branch <version branch> https://github.com/FFmpeg/nv-codec-headers cd nv-codec-headers sudo make install

Uninstall existing ffmpeg if applicable
Get the ffmpeg source
apt source ffmpeg

add "--enable-nonfree --enable-nvenc" to the...

Read more about this resource...

AaronD

I'm on Ubuntu Studio, which comes with OBS preinstalled and working. (among many other things) All I had to do was install the correct driver (which was not in the GUI selection and required a BIOS tweak to get the laptop screen back; that was a pain) for my old Quadro K5100M GPU. And then everything worked!

I guess UStudio already has your steps done before shipping the image???

Last edited:

arf20

I have no clue what they have done. But Ubuntu Studio might build his own ffmpeg with all the non-free stuff I guess. Not in debian.

AaronD

I have no clue what they have done. But Ubuntu Studio might build his own ffmpeg with all the non-free stuff I guess. Not in debian.
You might be right, but another thing to note is that Ubuntu Studio is based on Ubuntu, which is itself based on Debian. So if you want Debian under the hood, and a working ffmpeg, then you can use Ubuntu Studio. If you're going to install something anyway, it might as well be that and be done.