Browser Element (Using StreamElements) Causes Memory Leak Mac Os 10.15.7

mr_joe

Firstly, I'm aware OBS does NOT work on Big Sur, this error occurs on Catalina.

It's very easy to reproduce. Simply create a browser elements with some stream elements theme. Then watch your memory usage go up, refer to my screenshot to use activity viewer on the memory section. You don't need to be streaming for it to go up. Simply having it 'active' will cause this to occur.

Furthermore, if you 'hide' the element by making it not visible ALL the memory is freed again. So as a horrible workaround for now for streamers ... to free your memory you may have to disable stream elements for a bit by hiding it in OBS to clear the memory (takes about 3 - 7 seconds) and then put it back on to prevent the out of memory errors.

This tells me the error is with the browser source right now. Being a developer and streamer myself I would be more then happy to look into this if someone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction to get started.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 8.56.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 8.56.02 PM.png
    297.1 KB · Views: 156

J3ster

Hey mate, I registered just so I could give you a possible solution as I was having this issue as well.

After some testing, I've found it to be when you set the text to scroll for your latest subscribers / followers etc. When you set them to static the problems doesn't appear to happen with the memory spike.

I'd be curious to see if your issue is due to the same elements.

mr_joe

Thanks J3ster I was starting to think no one cared =(. So you are saying that any browser element I use if it has a text that can scroll this is what is causing the issue? Can you define a bit more what that means with some examples?

J3ster

In your streamelements overlay, if you have an element; say for example 'Latest followers' and in the text option for the element, if 'text scrolling' is turned on, that is when I get the memory issues. I've added a picture of the options panel.

Let me know if you want me to expand further.

I'm not sure if its an OBS issue or streamelements... =\

Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 8.11.53 am.png

ATs_fm

I have a similar case. Although one of my SE browser sources that containes a scrolling followers list does not leak into my memory another does. The one that leaks containes custom CSS and JS code, the one that doesn't leak is a SE template widget. Sadly SE doesn't let you edit the code of the templates, only of the custom widget. My knowledge of CSS and JS coding is rudimentary at best so I too have no Idea what could cause this but I strongly reckon it's got something to do with SE custom widget code.

djkaoz

Hi. Same problem here. I tried to reduce the text on the scrolling, and enable hardware acceleration with that apparently it improves the performance