Question / Help Black screen on desktop capture, not a laptop

L1ttl3J1m

It is, however, an nVidia card, (or rather, pair of nVidia cards) in a surround configuration (5760x1080).

Now, I can see the engine trying to do something -> https://imgur.com/amJZqpH -> but the log file tells me nothing.

I can see the switch is in the executable (--verbose: Make log more verbose.), but I've tried all the usual suspects and none of them seem to get the debug log to come out. Every time I see that flicker of activity, I should get a log message or several. But I don't.

Is there an way to get this information out of the vanilla Windows build, or do I need to roll my own with debugging output enabled?

Attachments

• 2020-02-04 19-11-52.txt
    4.6 KB · Views: 60

Narcogen

I'd guess that whatever software Nvidia uses to make two GPUs appear like one prevents OBS from grabbing the display.

If you had two GPUs installed, each plugged into separate monitors, OBS would have to run on ONE of those GPUs, and would only be able to perform display capture on the one it was running on. It would get that by having direct access to the frame buffer of the card it was running on.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the Nvidia software making two GPUs appear as one is blocking OBS' direct access to either of the card's frame buffers, so it's behaving as if it would when it's running on the wrong adapter. (Like a laptop running on its Nvidia card, where the display is run by an intel GPU).

I'm curious, does game capture work at all, or is it also broken?

L1ttl3J1m

Yes, game capture and window capture both work fine, and desktop works when it's in SLI mode without having to do any selection of the GPU in the Windows display settings.

Narcogen

If capturing the desktop in this mode requires SLI than I'd say that supports my supposition.

Use of SLI with OBS is not recommended.

L1ttl3J1m

If capturing the desktop in this mode requires SLI than I'd say that supports my supposition.

Use of SLI with OBS is not recommended.

Butt it works in SLI mode. Do you mean it's not recommended for surround mode?

In any case, what about my actual query, which was how to get more data in the log files?

Narcogen

It is not recommended to use GPUs in SLI mode while using OBS.

OBS' SLI mode exists in case it is absolutely necessary to use SLI mode, but that does not mean it is recommended.

There are no additional log controls that I am aware of beyond verbose mode. For most cases, users are advised not to use verbose mode unless someone helping them asks for it, since it is not always helpful, and makes logs much longer and harder to read for the diagnosing of usual problems.

One thing you can do to make the logfiles more complete is to take a logfile from a session with an output session.

Open OBS, being recording or streaming, observe your issue, stop the output session, upload the Current logfile from the help menu. A logfile with no output session is missing much of the usable information, since many things are not logged until an output session starts.

19:11:52.316: Running as administrator: false

Running as admin is something that can help, so you might try it if you have not already.

I've not seen anyone post anything that indicates success in using OBS Studio successfully for display capture with Nvidia surround mode:

obsproject.com › Forums › OBS Studio Support › Windows SupportQuestion / Help - nvidia surround resolution 5760x1080 to ...

obsproject.com › Forums › OBS Studio Support › Windows SupportQuestion / Help - OBS Studio Display w/Nvidia Surround | OBS Forums

obsproject.com › Forums › OBS Studio Support › Windows SupportQuestion / Help - How do I screen capture using Nvidia surround ...

Suggested workarounds are game capture, window capture and external capture card.

Incidentally, even if you could make it work, you would have to use CPU x264 encoding, as the max resolution for NVENC is 4096x4096, and I think in this case violating either pixel dimension puts it out of bounds, not just the total number of pixels.

L1ttl3J1m

I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT!!!!!

Change....the rendering mode....to openGL.

To do this, you need to run OBS with the switch --allow-opengl. This only needs to be done once. The setting will be retained on subsequent runnings

OBS_Settings.jpg

Incidentally, what I do is put a transform on to only show the 1920x1080 block of screen that I want to capture, since most people won't be viewing on a 16:3 monitor.

Now, if you'll exuse me, I see I have a few threads to spread the good word upon...