Bitrate in my stream is limited to 14,500 bits on my PC, but on my laptop I can set a higher bitrate.

Tobias95

I have been streaming on YouTube with the following OBS configuration for 1080p/60fps without any issues.

1722293310774.png

1722296020215.png

My fiber optic internet speed is 500 Mbps, and I connect via Cat 6 Ethernet cable.
1722292444150.png

However, I recently switched to a 2560x1440 monitor, and according to YouTube’s support, it’s recommended to increase the bitrate to 24,000 for streaming at 1440p/60fps.

1722296113245.png

So I increased my bitrate to this amount, but I noticed that the maximum bitrate OBS allows is around 14,500 bits. It doesn’t matter if I stream at 480p, 720p, 1080p, or 1440p; the maximum bitrate OBS allows is around 14,500 bits. I hadn’t noticed this issue before because I was only using 12,000 bits for my streams.

1722295392661.png

This is the log:

This is my PC specs:

1722294626232.png

This seemed very odd to me, so I installed OBS on my laptop, configured it the same way as on my PC, and connected it to the internet using the same Cat 6 Ethernet cable that I use with my PC. I was surprised to find that on my laptop, I could set a bitrate higher than 14,500 bits and stream without any issues. The highest bitrate I tested was 50,000.

1722295772844.png

Given this, I understand that the problem is with my PC, but I have no idea which configuration or component is causing the issue. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Attachments

• 1722293109681.png
    1722293109681.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 1722293204291.png
    1722293204291.png
    54.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 1722294484809.png
    1722294484809.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 8

PaiSand

Is not the max bitrate OBS allows, is what your system hardware allows you max.
OBS can manage as much as your hardware is capable of.

The dropped frames may be related to an issue on the network controller or if you used a "network booster" which actually cause issues.
In the first case, check for updates on the network controller. On the second case, undo whatever change you did and remove the program.
Online speed tests don't measure rtmp protocol.
Preset P5
As you're streaming to youtube, perhaps you want to change the encoder to HEVC H265 using 10Mbps
You're at 1080p, not 1440p. Do not upscale, it always looks bad. In order to use 1440p you first need a display capable of this resolution.
You may want to add 16GB more of RAM

Tobias95

Is not the max bitrate OBS allows, is what your system hardware allows you max.
OBS can manage as much as your hardware is capable of.

The dropped frames may be related to an issue on the network controller or if you used a "network booster" which actually cause issues.
In the first case, check for updates on the network controller. On the second case, undo whatever change you did and remove the program.
Online speed tests don't measure rtmp protocol.
Preset P5
As you're streaming to youtube, perhaps you want to change the encoder to HEVC H265 using 10Mbps
You're at 1080p, not 1440p. Do not upscale, it always looks bad. In order to use 1440p you first need a display capable of this resolution.
You may want to add 16GB more of RAM

Thank you for your prompt response.

Regarding what you mentioned, the network controller drivers are updated to the latest version available. Also, I don’t have any program installed to amplify the network.

1722393167057.png

I also tried changing the Preset to "P5" and the encoder to HEVC H265, but the problem persists and the bit rate stays at approximately 14,500 bits.

Finally, I have a monitor with a resolution of 2560x1440 (Gigabyte 27" G27CQ), but in the screenshot I previously attached with the OBS settings, you can see that it was set to 1080p because I was only testing the bit rate at that moment.

I did further tests and, no matter how high I set the bitrate, OBS or my PC can only handle about 14,500 bits.
https://r-1.ch/R1TCPOptimizer.zip can help in cases like this where something has set bad buffer sizes or turned off window scaling.

Wow!!!
Thank you, I ran the program and set it up very basically according to my knowledge, and now OBS accepts setting a higher birate.

1722393954040.png

I apologize if I’m bothering you, but could you help me configure the program correctly, please? What values should I set?

1722394181984.png

Here is a screenshot of my speed test.
1722394212371.png

Tobias95

Those settings look fine. Glad it helped!
Thank you so much! I don’t quite understand what “Target RTT” refers to, the program was automatically set to 80 and I didn’t change it. Could you explain to me what this value refers to, please?

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
RTT is round trip time, i.e. how long it takes the data to send and return from a server. The TCP window limits how much unacknowledged data can be in flight between you and a server, with a server far away and a high RTT, this means that your bandwidth can be restricted by how long it takes the server to acknowledge the data in flight before new data can be sent. So if you wanted to upload at 500mbps to a server that's 200ms away, you'd set target RTT to 200. However most servers are likely closer to you so you don't need to go that high unless you are far away from the majority of internet servers, e.g. if you lived in Australia or similar.

Tobias95

RTT is round trip time, i.e. how long it takes the data to send and return from a server. The TCP window limits how much unacknowledged data can be in flight between you and a server, with a server far away and a high RTT, this means that your bandwidth can be restricted by how long it takes the server to acknowledge the data in flight before new data can be sent. So if you wanted to upload at 500mbps to a server that's 200ms away, you'd set target RTT to 200. However most servers are likely closer to you so you don't need to go that high unless you are far away from the majority of internet servers, e.g. if you lived in Australia or similar.
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. I now have a clearer understanding of RTT.

In my case, I currently live in Peru, and with an RTT value of 80, I have been able to stream live on YouTube without any issues so far.

Running the command "ping www.youtube.com" in CMD shows an approximate value of 150ms, but I'm not sure if this value is reliable.

I assume that if problems eventually arise, I should increase this value, right?

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
You can ping a.rtmp.youtube.com for the YT ingest server, but even at 150ms you'd still have be far more than enough room, you'd cap at about 260mbps. If the problem returns it's unlikely changing these values further will help, it is most likely an ISP issue at that point.

Tobias95

You can ping a.rtmp.youtube.com for the YT ingest server, but even at 150ms you'd still have be far more than enough room, you'd cap at about 260mbps. If the problem returns it's unlikely changing these values further will help, it is most likely an ISP issue at that point.
I understand, now I have a better knowledge about OBS and networks. Thank you so much for all your help!