Bible Plugin for OBS Studio

Bible Plugin for OBS Studio

I purchased the coffee version sight-unseen, and I'm playing around with it today at church... One question - do you have to install OpenLP to import bibles? If yes, does it have to be running to use them?

Hi! Thanks for getting the Coffee Version!

The Generator program in the Coffee Version has five public domain Bibles preinstalled: the American Standard Version (ASV), the King James Version (KJV), the Revised Standard Version (RSV), the World English Bible (WEB), and Young's Literal Translation (YLT). You do not need OpenLP to import these Bibles.

For other Bible translations, though, you do need OpenLP to import them. However, after the Bibles have been imported and the plugin generated, you do not need OpenLP anymore. In fact, you don't even need the Generator program anymore either. The generated plugin, with all the Bibles you chose, is completely self-contained and does not need any other program running at the same time.

I hope this answers your question. Thanks for reaching out!

hopkir

Thank you so much. I will install OpenLP and import some of the bibles that my pastor refers to. In the meantime, I have a suggestion.

It would be great if I could partially type the book name followed by the chapter/verse reference without having to reach for the mouse. It always takes a moment to remember how to spell Deuteronomy, or it takes an extra moment to type out Song of Solomon, and reaching for the mouse takes precious time as well, when you're trying to keep up with your pastor (who doesn't always provide verses in advance ). If I could type "gen 1" or "song 3:5-6" that would be a huge help.

immanuvel

Hi,
First I want to thank you for creating this plug-in.
I have purchased the coffee version, without seeing a note, not applicable for Mac. Thats fine :)
But normal version itself not working to me. Getting "Unrecognized reference" popup after I click the submit button.
Attached the screenshot for reference.
Tried from both OBS dock & broswer. getting the same error. pls help. thanks

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 4.30.35 PM.png

Thank you so much. I will install OpenLP and import some of the bibles that my pastor refers to. In the meantime, I have a suggestion.

It would be great if I could partially type the book name followed by the chapter/verse reference without having to reach for the mouse. It always takes a moment to remember how to spell Deuteronomy, or it takes an extra moment to type out Song of Solomon, and reaching for the mouse takes precious time as well, when you're trying to keep up with your pastor (who doesn't always provide verses in advance ). If I could type "gen 1" or "song 3:5-6" that would be a huge help.

That sounds like a great idea. It doesn't sound too difficult to implement either. I'll try to add it to the coming update.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Hi,
First I want to thank you for creating this plug-in.
I have purchased the coffee version, without seeing a note, not applicable for Mac. Thats fine :)
But normal version itself not working to me. Getting "Unrecognized reference" popup after I click the submit button.
Attached the screenshot for reference.
Tried from both OBS dock & broswer. getting the same error. pls help. thanks

View attachment 76873

Hi, Immanuvel! Thanks for getting the Coffee Version!

You need to add a chapter after the Bible book (like "Genesis 1"). Please see this message:

Hi! First, thanks for getting the Coffee Version!

Usually, the unrecognized reference error only appears if a Bible book or chapter was not provided. For example, the error appears if you type only "Genesis" or "3". You can see all references that the plugin understands here:
https://bibleplugin.firstfruitsstudio.com/guides/manual/#search-mode (under Bible Formats). Also, make sure that you have already selected a Bible.

Ideally, it should go something like this:

View attachment 76824

This is actually something that a lot of people have contacted me about. The next update will add a more helpful error message so that the plugin will be easier to use.

If you still have any issues, please let me know the Bible and reference that you are using.

Thanks for reaching out!

As for the Mac, I have a solution in mind. I'll private message you.

Thanks again for your support!

Firstfruits Studio updated Bible Plugin for OBS Studio with a new update entry:

Version 1.3.0

Hi, everyone!

Version 1.3.0 is now out, and with it a couple of new features.

Search Improvements

Bible reference searching has been tweaked to provide a better user experience:
  • Diacritics in Bible book names are ignored in searching and suggestions. This means you don't have to always type out accented letters. In the Spanish Reina-Valera Antigua, for example, you can type "Genesis 1" instead of "Génesis 1".
  • Partial Bible book names are now...

Read the rest of this update entry...

hopkir

And since I'm here, I have another suggestion for you. I'm not sure if this is possible or not, as I've not worked with a browser controle inside another application, but if you could add hotkeys and tooltips with those hotkeys to the buttons on the dock, that would make things even better in a great little application.

Example, one of the web applications I am working on at work I use the accesskey attribute on buttons, along with the tooltip attribute, and I can for example use Alt-s for the search button.

My suggestions would be to have the following:
  • Hotkey for search button
    • Give the Reference field the focus upon clicking Search
  • Hotkey for the Bible button
  • Hotkey for the Show/Hide button
  • Hotkey for the List button
    • Give one of the items in the list the focus so that arrow keys and enter can be used to select the desired item
Again, thank you so much for a great application!

Rich

Lawrence_SoCal

Curious question
- I get this plug-in, especially I'm guessing for an Evangelical style worship setting.
- But for expanded usage (like Liturgy based styles) would benefit from having (need) more than the Bible. For example, a Liturgy source like Book of Common Prayer, or other "Service Bulletin" type content
And then a way to switch from Bible to other content ... or this may be overly complex and outside this plug-ins focus. which is fine.
I could see using this plug-in as a way to display Readings is a more aesthetic manner than my current method described below... but then I'm mixing content sources to display :(

But in case intrigued, some back ground on what I set up last year:
- We took our service bulletin (pre-pandemic was hard-copy printed for hand-outs to in-person attendees) and put it into PowerPoint. PPTx (in windowed slide show mode) works, though not ideal nor aesthetic, but simple/common with office staff and allows last minute corrections/changes. Further using PPTx in this way makes it easy to combine liturgical service order/content, Bible content, and Psalms & hymns (graphic image, with music notes, from Hymnal) for display alongside camera image
- I settled on using left ~1/3 of frame for static PPTx content and rest for camera.. through using OBS Scenes, I actually have a full landscape-oriented slide page view (using 1/3 of Base Canvas), then a "partial slide view" using about 1/2 of standard slide width [when full slide width not required], and then a no-slide (all camera) view with presets TXT boxes at bottom of screen for misc info, [not dynamic lower 1/3 type content] ...
My setup works... but is not aesthetic not all that dynamic.

I'm thinking something along the lines of this plugin, where I list out, in advance, the various content sources, in order, for a service and then walk thru that content. Getting the liturgy electronically and Importing shouldn't be a challenge. But graphic image 'pages' with Hymns with musical notation [ie same image/view as choir singing from]? And then creating a master service order for a given service to follow. In a liturgical tradition like mine, the liturgy is usually the same during a given season, with Readings, Psalms, and music changing each service. And then there is the couple of percent of random other content, that copy 'n pasting, or otherwise creating file and importing as required, would be fine.

Anyway, food for thought for an Expresso version ;^)

Thank you so much!

You're welcome!

And since I'm here, I have another suggestion for you. I'm not sure if this is possible or not, as I've not worked with a browser controle inside another application, but if you could add hotkeys and tooltips with those hotkeys to the buttons on the dock, that would make things even better in a great little application.

Example, one of the web applications I am working on at work I use the accesskey attribute on buttons, along with the tooltip attribute, and I can for example use Alt-s for the search button.

My suggestions would be to have the following:
  • Hotkey for search button
    • Give the Reference field the focus upon clicking Search
  • Hotkey for the Bible button
  • Hotkey for the Show/Hide button
  • Hotkey for the List button
    • Give one of the items in the list the focus so that arrow keys and enter can be used to select the desired item
Again, thank you so much for a great application!

Rich

That's another great idea! I'll first have to do some testing to see how feasible it would be. If all goes well, I'll try to add it in. Thanks for the suggestions!

Curious question
- I get this plug-in, especially I'm guessing for an Evangelical style worship setting.
- But for expanded usage (like Liturgy based styles) would benefit from having (need) more than the Bible. For example, a Liturgy source like Book of Common Prayer, or other "Service Bulletin" type content
And then a way to switch from Bible to other content ... or this may be overly complex and outside this plug-ins focus. which is fine.
I could see using this plug-in as a way to display Readings is a more aesthetic manner than my current method described below... but then I'm mixing content sources to display :(

But in case intrigued, some back ground on what I set up last year:
- We took our service bulletin (pre-pandemic was hard-copy printed for hand-outs to in-person attendees) and put it into PowerPoint. PPTx (in windowed slide show mode) works, though not ideal nor aesthetic, but simple/common with office staff and allows last minute corrections/changes. Further using PPTx in this way makes it easy to combine liturgical service order/content, Bible content, and Psalms & hymns (graphic image, with music notes, from Hymnal) for display alongside camera image
- I settled on using left ~1/3 of frame for static PPTx content and rest for camera.. through using OBS Scenes, I actually have a full landscape-oriented slide page view (using 1/3 of Base Canvas), then a "partial slide view" using about 1/2 of standard slide width [when full slide width not required], and then a no-slide (all camera) view with presets TXT boxes at bottom of screen for misc info, [not dynamic lower 1/3 type content] ...
My setup works... but is not aesthetic not all that dynamic.

I'm thinking something along the lines of this plugin, where I list out, in advance, the various content sources, in order, for a service and then walk thru that content. Getting the liturgy electronically and Importing shouldn't be a challenge. But graphic image 'pages' with Hymns with musical notation [ie same image/view as choir singing from]? And then creating a master service order for a given service to follow. In a liturgical tradition like mine, the liturgy is usually the same during a given season, with Readings, Psalms, and music changing each service. And then there is the couple of percent of random other content, that copy 'n pasting, or otherwise creating file and importing as required, would be fine.

Anyway, food for thought for an Expresso version ;^)

Hi, Lawrence!

That's quite an idea! It is beyond the scope of this plugin right now. So no espresso version yet. :D

However, definitely food for thought! Thanks for sharing!

hopkir

You're welcome!

That's another great idea! I'll first have to do some testing to see how feasible it would be. If all goes well, I'll try to add it in. Thanks for the suggestions!
I have had a further thought on this.... I'm wondering.... It may be possible that the hotkeys would not be picked up unless the focus is on the dock. For me this wouldn't be a problem, as I don't use a mouse in OBS. I use a Stream Deck. I don't know how many others use one, but they are very handy tools, and they have an iPad and Android version, which work well, and only cost something like $2.99 a month to use. I love it. There are several plugins that work with OBS, and I've got some of the buttons set up to do multiple actions. For example, my giving button switches to the scene with the giving slide (our online giving info including QR code), and 30 seconds later it switches back to the main scene. My end service button defocuses the camera scene, the cross-fades to the thank you slide, while simultaneously decreasing the audio source volume, and after a total of 6 seconds, ends the live stream. All in one button.

Just a thought if anyone wants to try using Stream Deck, as the app has a free trial, and is cheap per month. The hardware devices are not free of course, but I'm in love with mine. I started out using just the app for nearly a year before buying the hardware.

Anyway, back to my original point, I could put the focus on the dock, which I'm thinking would be necessary in order for hotkeys to work there, and change scenes and such with the Stream Deck, which does not take the focus away from the dock. Just a thought.

I have had a further thought on this.... I'm wondering.... It may be possible that the hotkeys would not be picked up unless the focus is on the dock. For me this wouldn't be a problem, as I don't use a mouse in OBS. I use a Stream Deck. I don't know how many others use one, but they are very handy tools, and they have an iPad and Android version, which work well, and only cost something like $2.99 a month to use. I love it. There are several plugins that work with OBS, and I've got some of the buttons set up to do multiple actions. For example, my giving button switches to the scene with the giving slide (our online giving info including QR code), and 30 seconds later it switches back to the main scene. My end service button defocuses the camera scene, the cross-fades to the thank you slide, while simultaneously decreasing the audio source volume, and after a total of 6 seconds, ends the live stream. All in one button.

Just a thought if anyone wants to try using Stream Deck, as the app has a free trial, and is cheap per month. The hardware devices are not free of course, but I'm in love with mine. I started out using just the app for nearly a year before buying the hardware.

Anyway, back to my original point, I could put the focus on the dock, which I'm thinking would be necessary in order for hotkeys to work there, and change scenes and such with the Stream Deck, which does not take the focus away from the dock. Just a thought.

Thanks for sharing. Based on my testing, it does seem that you are right: hotkeys will only be picked up when the dock has focus. So far, things look promising: in development, I was able to set some hotkeys and control the dock with it. I hope to implement your suggestions in the coming update.

As for a Stream Deck, I've never used one before and I don't know much about it; so thanks for sharing your experience with it. Based on what you have said, it seems that everything should still work out as long as the dock has focus.

Anyway, thanks for the info! I hope to release the next update sometime next week. Fingers crossed!

hopkir

Thanks for sharing. Based on my testing, it does seem that you are right: hotkeys will only be picked up when the dock has focus. So far, things look promising: in development, I was able to set some hotkeys and control the dock with it. I hope to implement your suggestions in the coming update.

As for a Stream Deck, I've never used one before and I don't know much about it; so thanks for sharing your experience with it. Based on what you have said, it seems that everything should still work out as long as the dock has focus.

Anyway, thanks for the info! I hope to release the next update sometime next week. Fingers crossed!
Awesome - anything else I can do to help, I would be glad to.

Version 1.4.0

Hi, everyone!

This update adds a lot of things to make the plugin much more keyboard-friendly. Once again, special thanks to user hopkir from the OBS Forums for his invaluable suggestions!

New Keyboard Shortcuts Settings
View attachment 77207

Default Keyboard Shortcuts

You are free to customize or unset each shortcut as you see fit! However, please take note that keyboard shortcuts will only work if the dock has focus.

App (Global)...

TheGamingScope1

I use OBS Studio for recording/streaming. I'm happy with everything, but I have a slight problem. If I increase my audio limit filter, then the sound is sometimes too loud, and when I decrease it, it cuts the audio if I get too loud. I wanna make sure my audio doesn't cut out when I make a loud noise but still can hear clearly, loud but when it reaches too high, rather than cutting, it'll automatically Equalise the audio. I know that I need an EQ to fix this problem. But I'm too lazy, so can someone find me the perfect EQ and send the image to my FB page - Shareef Ahmed Shoron.

Here's my current obs audio setting to understand what the EQ should be.

Main audio output - 3 DB

1. Compressor - Ration - 6.1, threshold - -18DB, Attack - 6, release - 60, Output gain - 0 DB Ducking - audio output.
  2. Gain - 10 DB
  3. Limiter - -6 DB, release - 60
  4. Noise Gate - close threshold - -78 DB, open threshold - -26, attack - 25, hold time 200, release time - 150
  5. Nouse sub- good quality
  6. Someone figure out the perfect EQ, please
https://obsproject.com/logs/sETKHYqg4wmIC9lS

hopkir

One more suggestion... Please put the hotkey into the tooltip, so we don't have to memorize the hotkeys. It will make learning them easier.

hopkir

And now that I've used it for a service, it worked very nicely for me! Thank you so much for creating the plugin, and for being so responsive to input!

One more suggestion... Please put the hotkey into the tooltip, so we don't have to memorize the hotkeys. It will make learning them easier.

Yup, it's on my to-do list. :D It will be an option in the next update.

And now that I've used it for a service, it worked very nicely for me! Thank you so much for creating the plugin, and for being so responsive to input!

Thanks so much! I appreciate it.

Version 1.4.1

Hi, everyone!

This update does two things:

First up is keyboard shortcuts on buttons! You can toggle this feature on or off in the Settings. Once again, special thanks to user hopkir from the OBS Forums for suggesting this! (And sorry it took this long :D )

Bottom Bar
View attachment 77434

Toolbar
View attachment 77435

You can toggle this on...