Question / Help Best Mac for streaming?

A lot of comments here. A lot of people reluctant to just use a PC, Windows 10 if they want to stay with OBS. Even more trying to stay "portable" when better to use a desktop/tower size chassis for real sized graphics, accessory cards and cooling. Yes, only use the machine for streaming while streaming. Streaming is a very intense, video and audio processing. The newer stuff sacrifices looks for work. If I had to stay with a Mac, I'd get the last Mac Pro full chassis tower. If I had to use a Mac laptop, I'd stop at late 2012, the last laptop with all the ports built in. I'd accept the limits and get appropriate compatible equipment. The goal is to produce streaming content and to do it reliably. Arguing about specs won't intimidate your equipment to perform better. Freeware isn't "free" and you can't demand or have professional output for free. But you can produce content with what you have if you keep realistic expectations. In the end, the content programming is more important than being able to see the pores on one face and fancy fade effects. High definition and junk content is still junk.

I do use 2 macs because they are what I own, 2012 MBPro and 2014 MBPro. I use DV firewire cameras 720P direct connect or with firewire to thunderbolt adapter, audio is off an analog 12 channel mixer with the line out feed to MOTU analog-digital usb. Always try to live stream with a wire connected network. This is used to stream an hour program every week.

twindux

A lot of comments here. A lot of people reluctant to just use a PC, Windows 10 if they want to stay with OBS. Even more trying to stay "portable" when better to use a desktop/tower size chassis for real sized graphics, accessory cards and cooling. Yes, only use the machine for streaming while streaming. Streaming is a very intense, video and audio processing. The newer stuff sacrifices looks for work. If I had to stay with a Mac, I'd get the last Mac Pro full chassis tower. If I had to use a Mac laptop, I'd stop at late 2012, the last laptop with all the ports built in. I'd accept the limits and get appropriate compatible equipment. The goal is to produce streaming content and to do it reliably. Arguing about specs won't intimidate your equipment to perform better. Freeware isn't "free" and you can't demand or have professional output for free. But you can produce content with what you have if you keep realistic expectations. In the end, the content programming is more important than being able to see the pores on one face and fancy fade effects. High definition and junk content is still junk.

I do use 2 macs because they are what I own, 2012 MBPro and 2014 MBPro. I use DV firewire cameras 720P direct connect or with firewire to thunderbolt adapter, audio is off an analog 12 channel mixer with the line out feed to MOTU analog-digital usb. Always try to live stream with a wire connected network. This is used to stream an hour program every week.
@cindydoo Again, it all depends on what you're doing and what you have. I have two macs I use for streaming depending on the use. One is a 2015 15" MB Pro for my simpler stuff, which includes an external Mac coming in via Elgato game capture card, an HDMI camera coming in from another Elgato and an iPhone coming in via OBS iPhone app and sound from our house PA/Music system via an external XLR to USB adapter.

In addition I often use multiple PNG overlay images, video media sources, etc, etc.

It works perfectly at 1080p30 or 60 to YouTube Live...switching sources without Studio Mode. I use USB hubs to get all the devices into the computer.

If I further want to add a couple NDI camera sources, I use my main 2017 15" Macbook Pro and connect the USB stuff via a Thunderbolt 3 dock. With this I can run multiview on an external screen to switch between my various sources.

I need a laptop because we stream from several locations. Yes, I could go buy another PC, but I already own the equipment I have and am expert in troubleshooting and maximizing Macs. Plus, I'd rather spend whatever slim budget we have on upgraded cameras.