Automate 24/7 Stream for a scheduled Playlist

jbjimbo

I'm sure glad you guys created this thread. I've used SAM in the past and that's exactly what I envision is needed too. At least with regards to the logic, scheduler and fallback autoplay. I'm currently looking for a solution to let us schedule shows, commercials, and promos for a 24 hr channel, with something that will also fill if we're short in a particular hour.

nwatv

Signed up to post. A scheduling feature or add-on would be incredible, and SAM Broadcaster is a great blueprint. I work in community TV and an OBS-based system to schedule and play-out video would change the game.

Re-Aktor

I propose to reset the developer SAM Brodcaster or OBS STUDIO on the implementation of this function. You can make the module paid.

Tormy

I propose to reset the developer SAM Brodcaster or OBS STUDIO on the implementation of this function. You can make the module paid.
I'm quite expertise with SAM due daily activity.
I can give them full indications on how it works in order to get these functionalities on OBS as well.
SAM is NOT free and you pay the license to use it. SAM and OBS are two worlds apart.
This, doesn't forbid to implement similar policies for video management.

nwatv

Something that is free is CasperCG: It's an open-source broadcast automation system—a somewhat daunting program, but one that works very well. There's a fork of it called RedCast OnTime that's nearly there in terms of scheduling functionality and might be worth looking into for some.

Edit: Found some helpful videos:

Last edited:

dwot

I've been tinkering with automating a stream using the websocket plugin and javascript. It's in an extremely rough proof of concept state but it's working. At this point you supply it with websocket connection info, names of 2 scenes/sources in OBS, an M3U playlist of main programs and an M3U playlist of "insert" programs to be played in between the main programs. These techniques could be modified to play inserts as ads at set intervals during main programs as well as in between them or to play multiple insert files per rotation or to shuffle playlists more randomly. At this point it's just dead simple interweaving 2 looping playlists and automating OBS scene / source loading / switching.

The code can be found at: https://github.com/dwot/obs-autopilot
The actual interface at this point is just dead simple HTML - https://dwot.github.io/obs-autopilot/websocket.html

It's definitely not professional broadcasting software and it doesn't aspire to be. I was simply looking to string up some proof of concept automation for OBS driven as simply as I could.

Shapebuster

Hello everyone,
Im writing from Portugal, and i came across this post because i need to play a 10h long video footage (images and video) in a cowork space, that changes within hours of the day, in order to present more about the people or startups that are having a scheduled meeting, so that their clients or people attending to the meeting see more of their presence in the broadcast, than others...
How can i do this?
Thanks in advance, and best regards from Portugal!

Hi,
What is the best workflow to automate obs streaming a scheduled playlist
Hi,

What is the best workflow to automate obs streaming a scheduled playlist that will be managed by an in-house application, I did a workaround by adding a scene with vlc source form a directory and I tried to drop files in this folder continuously but it seems the vlc source will play only clips located when starting, does creating multiple scene and trying to auto switch them will help in this case?
Or any better ideas, I’m able to create dynamically xml, json or any kind of playlist files, but how can obs read these playlist after updating them?
And is there any way to make playlist with specific time? Os it ca run a specific file at a specific time?
One more doubt what about automating some overlay graphics or some alsfa .mov files on a specific time?
Thank you for your advices.
Regards.

that will be managed by an in-house application, I did a workround

Just adding my name also, so that developers know that we are a legion of people interested in this feature. Playing specific files at specific times and intervals would be the first step.

FirebirdTN

Old thread, but I was researching something similar, and while obs at some point may incorporate these features directly, in the mean time the closest I could come up with is vlc scheduler. You can pipe the output of vlc into obs.

I have not tested this (yet), and I have no affiliation with its creator. Just trying to pass along some info that someone may find useful:

https://github.com/EugeneDae/VLC-Scheduler

-Alan

Ocid12

Complete automation playlists would be the BEST professional add-on to OBS. I run a TV channel, and I need to play commercials from time to time, like a playlist of commercials, choosed randomly inside a major playlist of the program videos. A scheduled playlist that would fit time exactly would also be a dream. How to do that in VLC ? We could automate VLC and send it to OBS.
I have found a solution. Do it with Radioboss Advanced, this is radio automation software, but install codec k-lite with all video formats. Then you can make full video playlist, ads, video with subs(srt) automation and more. Use OBS to brodcast,capture screen. The best is that you dont need a good computer to run it. Tested with old computer works great.

Tormy

I have found a solution. Do it with Radioboss Advanced, this is radio automation software, but install codec k-lite with all video formats. Then you can make full video playlist, ads, video with subs(srt) automation and more. Use OBS to brodcast,capture screen. The best is that you dont need a good computer to run it. Tested with old computer works great.
Yeah, I did with another similar program, made for TV Stations ... however it will be great if there is something integrated into OBS, rather than 3rd parties.
P.S. RadioBoss is not free,neither the software I did use (I just used the trial period)

pashkal

Hi folks,

I'd like to share a project I've been working on for a while.

It's an OBS plugin and web application for managing video recording playbacks during broadcast. Plugin itself is pretty solid, web app might be a little raw, but we've been using different versions of it for a while in our broadcasts (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDBXshZdICEHr0HSVsLrydA) and I'm curious if anyone else will find it useful.

Lmk if you try it out!

IliasGR

Hi folks,

I'd like to share a project I've been working on for a while.

It's an OBS plugin and web application for managing video recording playbacks during broadcast. Plugin itself is pretty solid, web app might be a little raw, but we've been using different versions of it for a while in our broadcasts (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDBXshZdICEHr0HSVsLrydA) and I'm curious if anyone else will find it useful.

Lmk if you try it out!
It looks great but i would like to ask if its possible to play videos from an external source.Like from a different server for example.

pashkal

It looks great but i would like to ask if its possible to play videos from an external source.Like from a different server for example.

So currently it only supports playing videos that are visible as a local file on the server that’s running OBS.

We usually have the following setup during our broadcasts:
- files are all stored locally in the directory on the machine running OBS - this way there’s no network latency involved when playing videos
- this directory is synced to some cloud service (we’ve used Yandex.Disk, but I’m sure that Dropbox or Google Drive will also work) and so directory content be managed from anywhere
- the directory with files is also network-mounted to the server running scheduler

Tryitplease

Hello, I just came accross this thread and have been trying to find a solution to this issue. If OBS can only be able to start and stop the (Start Streaming) command this would be a solution that would change everything. Using OBS in combo with a service like restream, if OBS can just activate by its self on a timer than the signal is sent to resream and tranmited to the media networks. We have figured how to set up our video player, but we still have to manually activate the broadcast schedule . This really seems like a easy plugin for a skilled programmer. Our station broadcast on Facebook, twitter, YouTube, but we have to do it manually. via remote control. It works fine but must have someone who will start and stop OBS or it runs a black screen until it is stopped manually. Thanks