Automate 24/7 Stream for a scheduled Playlist

jbjimbo

I can't speak to a scheduled start and stop, but for anyone looking to now schedule a 24/7 stream based on time, the plug-in Advanced Scene Switcher was updated this summer to include triggers based on your system time. I haven't tried it just yet but I'm hopeful it's exactly what may of us have been looking for:

bcoyle

Seems to me that this is not possible with a plug-in. Too complicated. My impression that this is a full blown app out side of OBS that uses OBS as a front end. I've seen other examples (not OBS related) by googling and they seem to be a big job, many hours of effort by a team of people. Another problem is when you have a 24/7 station, you need a lot of material to keep it fresh, also a TV guide so people would see when their favorite program is coming up at 8pm, etc. I have noticed that most of the programs I've seen are pretty complicated and require a large amount of YOUR time to keep up. Need something as easy as possible on the user, i.e. as automatic as possible. Even thinking about this hurts my head.

Xorcist

So sadly until someone makes something, do this. Capture a desktop that's empty. Black screen. Now, use Windows Task Manager (sorry mac peeps) to start VLC videos according to time. Uncheck the OSD option in VLC and under playlist choose QUIT when done. Finished. You stream black (or a desktop graphic of "STAY TUNED"), then VLC spawns your videos and OBS just streams that screen (and your audio). Done. For now. Kludgy but waddaevs lol.

bcoyle

While looking over the forums, I noticed (Duh) that most people want gadgets to enhance their video DJ activities, games, docs, etc. How many people at our level really are interested in a 24/7 broadcast automation program (any or obs related)
It seems like most people want a fancy playout plugin that does basic switching but not a real TV station level app. What does everyone think? Am I getting this all wrong. So are there a few or many,many,many that wants their own tv station?

IliasGR

While looking over the forums, I noticed (Duh) that most people want gadgets to enhance their video DJ activities, games, docs, etc. How many people at our level really are interested in a 24/7 broadcast automation program (any or obs related)
It seems like most people want a fancy playout plugin that does basic switching but not a real TV station level app. What does everyone think? Am I getting this all wrong. So are there a few or many,many,many that wants their own tv station?

I think thats the 2nd is close to the reality.Everyone wants to run a tv channel-no matter the content-

bcoyle

Nothing more than i ve already done.I ve got an automation software and via ndi im sending the picture to obs.
So is it like a real tv station? Do you have scheduled programs i.e. like Hogans heros at 9pm on monday thru friday. Maybe a TV guide with schedule programs for the week. Anyway would like to look at your "Youtube" channel. Could you give me info to find it?
My story is that I was a volunteer producer for a public access station here in Minden Nevada. It was defunded in june. It only appeared on ch 193 on spectrum cable so was not widely available to all residents. You can find me on youtube using "DCCATV" for search. Currently I just play directories of past programs from the station and a lot of my own stuff. It really hurt me to see everything dumped when the station closed. So I inherited lots of programming. Also looking for people that would like to have a time slot or contributed their material specially after I get a real station going.

IliasGR

So is it like a real tv station? Do you have scheduled programs i.e. like Hogans heros at 9pm on monday thru friday. Maybe a TV guide with schedule programs for the week. Anyway would like to look at your "Youtube" channel. Could you give me info to find it?
My story is that I was a volunteer producer for a public access station here in Minden Nevada. It was defunded in june. It only appeared on ch 193 on spectrum cable so was not widely available to all residents. You can find me on youtube using "DCCATV" for search. Currently I just play directories of past programs from the station and a lot of my own stuff. It really hurt me to see everything dumped when the station closed. So I inherited lots of programming. Also looking for people that would like to have a time slot or contributed their material specially after I get a real station going.

I checked your channel! Its great! Just a notice.Firstly put a logo on the stream.Secondly stream on multi-platforms-not only youtube.There are a few viewers watching from set up boxes-iptv boxes and similar machines thats not that friendly/familiar or a fan of youtube and they are using other apps for viewing those kinds of channels like mine or yours.A good platform is Wowza-wowza streaming engine that you can set up on your server-vps(so you have to pay for this feature/service) and you have the 100% of the control-no copyright stuff and b...shits.I own a small web-tv channel (netmaxtv.com) broadcasting 24/7 some movies/documentaries with audience(greeks) from all around the world.Its about a month thats down due to some issues(tech) but i may bring it back on 15 days from now.I have a scheduled program.Im using the automation software "easy on air ndi" with the ndi plugin on obs.

bcoyle

I checked your channel! Its great! Just a notice.Firstly put a logo on the stream.Secondly stream on multi-platforms-not only youtube.There are a few viewers watching from set up boxes-iptv boxes and similar machines thats not that friendly/familiar or a fan of youtube and they are using other apps for viewing those kinds of channels like mine or yours.A good platform is Wowza-wowza streaming engine that you can set up on your server-vps(so you have to pay for this feature/service) and you have the 100% of the control-no copyright stuff and b...shits.I own a small web-tv channel (netmaxtv.com) broadcasting 24/7 some movies/documentaries with audience(greeks) from all around the world.Its about a month thats down due to some issues(tech) but i may bring it back on 15 days from now.I have a scheduled program.Im using the automation software "easy on air ndi" with the ndi plugin on obs.
Thanks for the advice. I have determined that if you can't make the equivalent of a tv guide that no one knows when to watch. I do have logos on some of my outputs but am merely testing equipment by broadcasting big directories of material. If interested, I'm streaming some singer-song writer performances from our local cafe. Quite good. Anyway, what did the software cost and also the streaming service. I've seen the easy on air on google before but thought it a playout software. I've found that if you want something good, you get what you pay for. At this point I have no audience and haven't been actively trying to get some. Just testing equipment. Some of my streams do have a logo, just haven't bothered to put in all.
You said with wowza, that there is no copywrite issues. Does that mean that you don't get flagged or blocked. And if so, can't you still get in trouble for sending out copywrite material. I know on youtube that they identify copywrite stuff, but pay royalies so that you don't get in trouble. I figure later when I am ready to be real serious then I would figure out different playforms. Here in nevada, people are very computer/youtube/streaming illiterate.
Gotto go for now

Bart at work

A solution to make playlists could be Qlab: https://qlab.app/ (it's Mac-only though). I used it to create playlists for conference workshop streams. Qlab is not free, but very affordable if you need it for a project: only $4 per day (video license). Output can be a Syphon stream, which OBS can see as input. And besides playlisting, this app can do much, much more!

bcoyle

Up to now, I've been a video guy mostly. If interested, my youtube personal channel is "mrhidefguy" ie Mr Hi Def Guy. Most of videos are ones I shot and edited. Some family stuff on the channel. You'll find some airshow stuff also. I'm a windows guy, so mac won't help me, but thanks for the thought. It's nice talking to people that have some of the same goals and more important, experience. One of the big questions for me is: what do people want to watch. I figured that gamers would like game stuff, while older people might want Lawrence Welk (LOL). So, what in your experience is the favorite programs you send out?

I do stream youtube now because I figured I could leverage off of my other content. I wasn't worried about streaming to other platforms until I could learn more about them. OBS can stream to a lot of platforms, so would cross that bridge when I got there. You can tell I'm new to obs. I'm don't know about m3u, seem to remember, it is some kind of standardized playlist, but will investigate and find out more.

Does easyonair actually generate a tv show like what you normally see on air and how easy it to use?

I know about github because I got a few pieces of programs off there. It's really amazing the amount of open software available. I saw redcast on google but it did not look like it was ready for use.

Enough for now, Best Regards

IliasGR

Up to now, I've been a video guy mostly. If interested, my youtube personal channel is "mrhidefguy" ie Mr Hi Def Guy. Most of videos are ones I shot and edited. Some family stuff on the channel. You'll find some airshow stuff also. I'm a windows guy, so mac won't help me, but thanks for the thought. It's nice talking to people that have some of the same goals and more important, experience. One of the big questions for me is: what do people want to watch. I figured that gamers would like game stuff, while older people might want Lawrence Welk (LOL). So, what in your experience is the favorite programs you send out?

I do stream youtube now because I figured I could leverage off of my other content. I wasn't worried about streaming to other platforms until I could learn more about them. OBS can stream to a lot of platforms, so would cross that bridge when I got there. You can tell I'm new to obs. I'm don't know about m3u, seem to remember, it is some kind of standardized playlist, but will investigate and find out more.

Does easyonair actually generate a tv show like what you normally see on air and how easy it to use?

I know about github because I got a few pieces of programs off there. It's really amazing the amount of open software available. I saw redcast on google but it did not look like it was ready for use.

Enough for now, Best Regards

Well,if you mean about graphics or titles,it can generate easily.I get what you are saying about youtube,you have right.I would like to ask how you connect your camera to your pc.Have you got a capture device?

bcoyle

Well,if you mean about graphics or titles,it can generate easily.I get what you are saying about youtube,you have right.I would like to ask how you connect your camera to your pc.Have you got a capture device?
No capture device. With video work, My cameras have sd chips. I edit with premiere pro. I do have some capture devices that I brought for future use. Tried them out on my 4k camera. Worked ok. MY station is really about streaming already created videos and not a video blob with my ugly face talking to people. I don't think I'm that interesting. I've had opportunities to be a interviewer, but find I like being behind the camera better. I have a 4K game video capture hdmi adapter with feed thru hdmi. it was about 50$. From china of course. By the way, where do you live. Seems like you are on a different time zone than me

bcoyle

Sorry, You are talking about web cameras? I actually just brought ond from costco yesterday. It's a avermedia camera. Tried it this morning on OBS and works perfectly. I have heard that some cameras when using the same model in a 2 camera scene doesn't work because the cam id is the same ton both cameras. Haven't tried recording or anything so I do get a picture on the screen, so that's as much as I can say for now.

IliasGR

No capture device. With video work, My cameras have sd chips. I edit with premiere pro. I do have some capture devices that I brought for future use. Tried them out on my 4k camera. Worked ok. MY station is really about streaming already created videos and not a video blob with my ugly face talking to people. I don't think I'm that interesting. I've had opportunities to be a interviewer, but find I like being behind the camera better. I have a 4K game video capture hdmi adapter with feed thru hdmi. it was about 50$. From china of course. By the way, where do you live. Seems like you are on a different time zone than me

Very nice,thats what im doing currently,streaming recorded stuff.I live in Greece,Europe.

Sorry, You are talking about web cameras? I actually just brought ond from costco yesterday. It's a avermedia camera. Tried it this morning on OBS and works perfectly. I have heard that some cameras when using the same model in a 2 camera scene doesn't work because the cam id is the same ton both cameras. Haven't tried recording or anything so I do get a picture on the screen, so that's as much as I can say for now.

I can confirm that .I ve done it in the past and i hadnt any issue.

msschwartz

Not sure if anyone is still interested in a 24/7 video playlist manager type plugin but I just finished a quick prototype. I will continue adding features and enhancements so let me know and I'll get make the plugin public.

1602791946724.png