Question / Help Auto text input from barcode scanner

Jbjshome

I have a question about auto updating text from file when file changes, not just when file saves.

I am using obs to stream to Facebook for sales, and I am looking for the best way to auto update a text overlay with data I put in with a handheld barcode scanner.
Example, I have a product barcode “sold 123” and I would like to be able to scan it and have the text come up on my live video, then I scan another barcode and it overwrites the first one without saving the file each time.
Is this possible??

qhobbes

Text files only change when they are saved. If your barcode scanner is somehow functioning as a keyboard and live writing to a document, you could use Window capture and just crop out the rest of the window.

Jbjshome

Thank you for your help, I am currently using that feature, I was hoping for another solution to streamline things a bit.

qhobbes

If your barcode scanner can function as keyboard input on any text field you can use a program that will save anything in a text field to a file whenever it's changed. If you want to avoid writing to your drive constantly, you can use a RAM disk such as ImDisk for the file(s). <-- That's a pro tip right there.

Jbjshome

Another question, could I use the “text from file” and chat log mode. Example, I scan a barcode, it populates in the text file on the last (bottom) line of the text file. (I am using notepad ++, so it auto saves)
How can I use “text from file” to show only the bottom “row” of the text, each time it auto saves? Is my basic question.