Audio trainwreck on FaceBook Live. Please help!

OBS_Cowboy

Hello OBS geniuses,

I really could use a helping hand on this one please if you would. So were a couple of musicians who stream on FB live a few times a week.
Keyframe interval : Every 2 seconds
Audio 128K
CBR
X264 Encoder
veryfast settings (this is a newer 2018 macbook pro i use. Ive tried settings to take more cpu also)
profile: main
44.1KHZ audio
Mono channels

Zero dropped frames except when i overload the encoder and have the volume up too high and it goes from green to red. Then i back off the volume and its all good again. no dropped frames.

and on each and every stream, it sounds awesome.. aannnd then at random times i hear a spec of static. then a little more static. then it sounds like
were singing underwater and then just garbage audio. Ive tried stopping the stream and restarting the stream. Nope didnt fix it.

If i CLOSE and then REOPEN OBS, for some reason even though i had the option to keep the stream live It has all of the fun of a memory leak issue.... potentially?? I have unchecked End live video if the stream stops so i can reconnect if need be. We have like 300meg down internet and 12megs up! Its reliable as a rock during the test broadcast.

Add in a lot of viewers (200-1500) and it starts going crazy. For a while there it was around the 30 minute mark. And were not playing any copyright clips up to that point so its not that.

UNLESSSS... The streamer is a known artist which i cant name but im wondering if they are playing so good that theyre triggering FBs copyright algorithm in a live show?

Has this happened to anyone on FB live using a newer mac? Any fix for this? Were losing tons of viewers because i have to close OBS and sometimes restart the whole stream. Ughhh.

Sure appreciate the help in advance! Thanks!

OBS_Cowboy

One other observation i figured out in watching more videos on this. I had not done the tuning piece on every stream where it sends a signal to your key as a test. Does everyone do that each time you broadcast?

And I also was using custom RMTP instead of FaceBook live. I did use the tool to figure out the fastest and closest ingest server which is where i was sending it. Apparently that didnt help much.

What else could be causing the audio to die out like it is? Im plugged in via ethernet.

Tom Williams

How are you connecting the audio? Are you going from a sound board to a computer input? If this is the case, I had a similar problem and that was due to a coupling of the ground between the PC and the sound board. If you don't have an "audio ground loop isolator" between them, you're probably getting the lovely sound of fans turning on inside the computer and the hum of the power supplies. Luckily, I fixed my problem with a $15 part from the evil empire (AmZn).