Question / Help Audio Tracks not recording the way I want them to

Jorvalt

So for whatever reason when I record something, it records 6 tracks, all in mono. I do not have it set to 6 tracks, nor do I have it set to mono. I have it set to three tracks - one with desktop audio, one with mic audio, and one with both. In the output settings, I have it set to advanced and have tracks 1, 2, and 3 checked. Whether the output is set to mp4 or mkv and then remuxed into mp4, the result is the same. For whatever reason, when I finish recording and then put the video in my editor, there's 6 tracks all in mono, and all of them with both audio sources. This is a brand new install of OBS, by the way. I didn't change any other settings besides hotkeys.

Here's my log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/3JRLOr6k_Jd8IhqI

Jorvalt

After some poking around, I found that apparently ONLY track one actually works. If the source isn't in track one, it isn't recorded. And track one just fills all available tracks.
What.
Seriously, how do I fix this?

Last edited:

koala

Media players only play one track at a time. They never mix existing tracks. If you want to verify the audio of an audio track of a video file, switch audio tracks within the media player. To get an overview of which tracks of which type are present in a video file, use MediaInfo.

According to the log you posted, 3 stereo tracks were written to the video file. If your video editor detects this as 6 mono tracks, your video editor software is at fault.

Jorvalt

Media players only play one track at a time. They never mix existing tracks. If you want to verify the audio of an audio track of a video file, switch audio tracks within the media player. To get an overview of which tracks of which type are present in a video file, use MediaInfo.

According to the log you posted, 3 stereo tracks were written to the video file. If your video editor detects this as 6 mono tracks, your video editor software is at fault.
I played it in VLC and apparently it IS actually recording both tracks. I found this out after doing some more digging. For my editor, I was using Lightworks. Does it just not have that kind of capability or what? I don't really know of any other good free editing software.

Jorvalt

Okay, I guess I can import the video into Audacity and then export it as audio and add that to the video in Lightworks. It's a pain in the ass and adds extra steps, but I guess I don't really have much of a choice.

I played it in VLC and apparently it IS actually recording both tracks. I found this out after doing some more digging. For my editor, I was using Lightworks. Does it just not have that kind of capability or what? I don't really know of any other good free editing software.
Can't beat this for free. Resolve