Audio stuttering only during live stream and only when 'full'

littleninja

Hi everyone.

Been streaming our church service with great success for 22 weeks now since the beginning of lockdown in the UK and have been very much learning as we go. A recent issue since we moved to a bigger set up is the audio starts stuttering and breaking up during a live stream but can only be heard when watching the live stream. Listening through OBS doesn't indicate anything is up and it only ever affects sound. Closing and reopening OBS fixes it which isn't ideal during a live stream!

I'm not on the PC at the mo so I don't have a log to show you but I can point you to the exact moment it starts happening on the live stream from yesterday (here: 16:16). Up until this point it was just talking and a prerecorded video but when we go to the live music with two singers and a guitar it starts happening very quickly. This is the exact circumstance it happened in previously too. It's only happened twice but in 3 weeks that feels like a lot! Interestingly the sound is immediately fine when we cut back to our 'presenter' to explain we'll be rebooting OBS to resolve the issue (here: 18:29) and when we come back after the OBS reboot, the music, with exactly the same set up, is fine until the end without any problems (music after reboot begins here: 21:56).

I'm very new to this. I'm thinking it must be something to do with encoding and that when the sound gets full and complex OBS can't encode it fast enough? I haven't amended the audio encoding at all as I've never had any problems at all. I have video encoding bitrate set to 2000 and generally quite a conservative set up as I live in fear of dropped frames! The CPU never goes past 10% (we got a brand new gaming PC to deal with the streaming - it's all it does) and we never have any dropped frames or streaming issues otherwise.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!