Question / Help Audio sounds crazy on Android and older iPhones only

VTGuy84

I’m trying to improve the audio on our church live streams. The members who have Androids and older iPhones say the audio sounds robotic. I didn’t understand it because the three of us in the room have newer iPhones and it sounds fine on our phones. A member let us hear it while we were live and it does sound weird. I pulled up my old iPhone 6 and got the same robotic sound. Any clues as to what could be changed so the sound works for everyone?

Here’s a clip of a service where people complained. https://www.facebook.com/PilgrimBaptistchurchLive/videos/257567074849682/

rivanvx

I can reproduce this on a video recorded with OBS 21.0.2 on Ubuntu 18.04 (bionic). I have to recheck with 21.1.2 and 22.0.2 to see if it still happens, but anyhow it isn't a Windows-only issue.

When playing on the desktop, everything works fine.

When playing on Moto G4 with Android 7.0, I get the same issue. I presume older phones have buggy codecs or OBS records the audio in an incompatible way, but I would like to know if there is a workaround or a fix.

Last edited:

rivanvx

Fedora vs. Ubuntu makes no difference on this machine (Lenovo Yoga 300), Fedora 29 with OBS 22.0.3 has the same issue.