Question / Help Audio Skips/Drops for a Frame

VIICTIIM

Hi, you may have seen me posting regarding audio skips that I have been experiencing. Originally, it was my capture card (which I ended up fixing), but now rewatching my test rebroadcasts I am encountering minimal skips that I cannot seem to eliminate.

The weird part is, I am monitoring everything via my GoXLR and I am not hearing any skips, so it has to be an issue related to something in OBS other wise I would notice it.

Here's a link to a clip I made. Skipping occurs at the very end (it's very minimal I know, you can barely tell that it's there. But it's driving me nuts and I just want smooth running audio. I've litterally changed everything on my set-up that could be a cause of this issue and yet it is still present): https://clips.twitch.tv/ScrumptiousInexpensiveBaboonAllenHuhu

I've tried everything from running OBS without any webcams, changing encoder, changing streaming servers, audio bitrate. And it is still there and I have zero frames skipped in my OBS stats so I have no idea what could be the cause of this.

Your help is very appreciated!

Attachments

• 2019-12-13 02-01-55.txt
    23.8 KB · Views: 40

carlmmii

I'm not completely familiar with how audio routing works with the GoXLR, but is there an option somewhere in the software to choose the buffer size? You may be running into an issue of the buffer size being too low, causing buffer underrun when OBS tries to capture it. You probably wouldn't hear this in monitoring, as the audio would exist without issue in hardware.

Also, are you using Asio or no? I know they just updated it to support Asio, might be something to look into (make sure you grab the Asio plugin for OBS if you haven't already).

VIICTIIM

I'm not completely familiar with how audio routing works with the GoXLR, but is there an option somewhere in the software to choose the buffer size? You may be running into an issue of the buffer size being too low, causing buffer underrun when OBS tries to capture it. You probably wouldn't hear this in monitoring, as the audio would exist without issue in hardware.

Also, are you using Asio or no? I know they just updated it to support Asio, might be something to look into (make sure you grab the Asio plugin for OBS if you haven't already).

Unfortunately, I tried lowering the buffer size and using the Asio plugin and I was still getting some skipping once every 5 minutes or so. I also tried with StreamLabs OBS to no avail.

Pretty weird considering I had this problem with my previous PC as well. I really think it's something related to OBS, but no one else seems to have this issue.

I also lowered my resolution to see if that would change something and it did not.

I attached my latest logs

Attachments

• 2019-12-13 23-16-14.txt
    24.8 KB · Views: 19

Narcogen

You wanted to increase the buffer size, not lower it. Skipping/stuttering is caused when the buffer empties. Latency is caused by having too high a buffer.

VIICTIIM

You wanted to increase the buffer size, not lower it. Skipping/stuttering is caused when the buffer empties. Latency is caused by having too high a buffer.

Oh yes, sorry that’s what I meant! I increased it to the maximum option (it was the option at the bottom so that’s why I said lowered) and it was still happening.

Also tried running tests without the GoXLR and skipping would also occur. Lowered my bitrate from 6000 to 4500 and would still get some skipping here and there.

I really don’t know what to do at this point.

Narcogen

Bitrate also shouldn't affect that.

Most audio issues are upstream from OBS and difficult to troubleshoot because setups vary so much.

Your logfile does not show OBS having any significant performance issues.

VIICTIIM

Bitrate also shouldn't affect that.

Most audio issues are upstream from OBS and difficult to troubleshoot because setups vary so much.

Your logfile does not show OBS having any significant performance issues.

Thanks for the help! Hopefully by some miracle, the next OBS update will correct this. Just sucks considering I upgraded gear to NOT have any problems, and some minimal random ones still occur.

carlmmii

Just wondering if there's some way to pin it down further here...

What happens if you try recording audio in something like Reaper, or even Audacity? Do they also have the same skipping audio?

VIICTIIM

Just wondering if there's some way to pin it down further here...

What happens if you try recording audio in something like Reaper, or even Audacity? Do they also have the same skipping audio?

Did a 15 minute test with audacity and I encountered 0 skips. I really don't know why it skips strictly in OBS...

carlmmii

Just to cover all the bases, have you verified that everything is running at the same 48,000hz sample rate? Also, have you tried with and without "Use Device Timestamps" checked?

VIICTIIM

Just to cover all the bases, have you verified that everything is running at the same 48,000hz sample rate? Also, have you tried with and without "Use Device Timestamps" checked?

Everything is at 48khz in my sound configs. Tried with Use Device Timestamps thing checked on and off and I was still experiencing the skips either way.

VIICTIIM

Tried one last thing which was re-install OBS without any of my scenes. Just a scene with my webcam and capture card and the skipping was also present.

VIICTIIM

Alright, after a week of tests, I finally caved in and switched to Xsplit (bought a key off Ebay) and did not encounter a single issue while running a 30 minute test. Again, no idea why OBS would cause skipping when everyone is using it and don’t seem to run through any problems. Thanks for the help everyone! I guess OBS and I were just not meant to be haha

carlmmii

Sorry to hear it man. I really do wish there was something to be figured out here, as I'm planning on getting a GoXLR of my own... and really hoping I don't have these same issues.

If you do ever figure out something, please let us know.