Audio Monitoring Bug

Polarilla

I am trying to set up OBS to record my game audio and my microphone audio separately to save me quite a bit of difficulty during the editing process however, when I go to the audio monitoring settings and change the microphone to "monitor only (mute output)" it's not actually muting the output and I still hear my microphone audio playing through my headphones. I'm sure you can see how this might be an issue for recording videos, so hopefully we can get this issue resolved soon.

AaronD

Output goes to the stream and recording. It has nothing to do with the headphones. Headphones come from the Monitor.

Setting it to "monitor only (mute output)" sends it *only* to your headphones and *not* the stream or recording.

That setting really needs to be two checkboxes with better labels, and not the poorly-labeled drop-down, but such it is.

Polarilla

Output goes to the stream and recording. It has nothing to do with the headphones. Headphones come from the Monitor.

Setting it to "monitor only (mute output)" sends it *only* to your headphones and *not* the stream or recording.

That setting really needs to be two checkboxes with better labels, and not the poorly-labeled drop-down, but such it is.
This is absolutely false because the recording only picks up my audio when it's set to the monitor only (mute) option or the regular monitor option. What monitor means is not a physical monitor, it means it detects the audio and watches or "monitors" the audio. But the fact that it's playing through the headphones when it says it shouldn't be do to the "mute" part of it, it means it should record your microphone audio but not play it through your headphones in real-time. Thank you for trying to help but I feel you misunderstood exactly what the options meant

AaronD

You must be using something else, because what I said is exactly how mine works:
1682261199707.png

I got mine from this site. Where did you get yours?

Polarilla

You must be using something else, because what I said is exactly how mine works:
View attachment 93381
I got mine from this site. Where did you get yours?
I got mine from here as well, but in the microphone specific settings why would it have anything involving a physical monitor? Most if not all monitors come without microphones built into them, so when it says monitor in the microphone settings it means it detects it. If it was for a physical monitor wouldn't it be in the the display audio settings instead?

AaronD

I got mine from here as well, but in the microphone specific settings why would it have anything involving a physical monitor? Most if not all monitors come without microphones built into them, so when it says monitor in the microphone settings it means it detects it. If it was for a physical monitor wouldn't it be in the the display audio settings instead?
In the pro audio world, a Monitor is a speaker on the floor that is aimed back at the musicians, or a set of buds in their ears. In a studio, the speakers in the Control Room are called Monitors. *That* is what the term in OBS refers to. It's a way for you to "Monitor" or "keep track of" the sound, without disrupting or having easy access to the primary Output that goes to the audience. It's not a visual display at all.

Different world, different definitions.

Polarilla

In the pro audio world, a Monitor is a speaker on the floor that is aimed back at the musicians, or a set of buds in their ears. In a studio, the speakers in the Control Room are called Monitors. *That* is what the term in OBS refers to. It's a way for you to "Monitor" or "keep track of" the sound, without disrupting or having easy access to the primary Output that goes to the audience. It's not a visual display at all.

Different world, different
I have a fair amount of experience in the music world and I see what you're talking about but I've never heard of anyone using OBS for music of any kind. And maybe to use said monitor for game audio makes sense but it still doesn't add up when it comes to it being in the microphone settings, again, why would they put settings for a speaker in the microphone settings?

AaronD

I have a fair amount of experience in the music world and I see what you're talking about but I've never heard of anyone using OBS for music of any kind. And maybe to use said monitor for game audio makes sense but it still doesn't add up when it comes to it being in the microphone settings, again, why would they put settings for a speaker in the microphone settings?
It's a generic source. Could be anything.

I use a Mic source, connected to a USB line input, that is fed from a physical console. OBS sends that both to the Output, which goes to the stream and recording, and to the Monitor, which goes to my headphones, so I can mix a band on that console to what OBS is actually getting.

Actually, since all of my audio processing is done in the console, so its finished soundtrack is my *only* live input to OBS, I can afford to connect 3 global "mic" sources to that same line input. One goes to the Output only, in stereo, one goes to the Monitor only, in stereo, and one goes to the Monitor only, in mono. The mono'ing is done in OBS, using the checkbox in the Advanced Audio Properties. I have a pair of hotkeys set up to mute/unmute the two Monitor-only copies, so I effectively have a stereo/mono switch on the keyboard, without affecting the stream. That lets me check the mix both ways and make sure it still works, since a lot of viewers have their speakers too close together to appreciate a stereo image.

And I've been PM'ing a guy on here for quite a while now, about his playing a guitar and singing, while recording or streaming that in OBS. What (good and cheap) gear to buy, how to use it, how to set up OBS, pretty soon figured out that he really needed something better for audio processing and then bring that into OBS as a finished soundtrack, etc.

Even outside of music, the Monitor is still useful for a mic input, even a real mic. Because it's the only audio out of OBS that isn't tied up in a stream or recording, that's how you get it into a remote meeting like Zoom, Skype, Jitsi, etc. OBS operates as if it were running a live stream, except that it's not actually streaming. Instead, the meeting picks up OBS's Virtual Camera, just like any other camera, and the audio comes from OBS's Monitor, through a loopback. A loopback is a virtual speaker and a virtual mic, so that whatever you send to that "speaker" goes nowhere physical but appears in that "mic". Set up the apps accordingly; they don't know the difference between that and a physical mic or speaker.

Of course, the ability to send a mic to a speaker *does* create the possibility of a feedback loop. But to remove that ability would break a TON of different workflows. If it's going to be flexible enough for anyone to use, then you kinda need to understand how to run a console, even if you don't have one, to use it well. Because the same pitfalls exist for the same reasons.

Polarilla

It's a generic source. Could be anything.

I use a Mic source, connected to a USB line input, that is fed from a physical console. OBS sends that both to the Output, which goes to the stream and recording, and to the Monitor, which goes to my headphones, so I can mix a band on that console to what OBS is actually getting.

Actually, since all of my audio processing is done in the console, so its finished soundtrack is my *only* live input to OBS, I can afford to connect 3 global "mic" sources to that same line input. One goes to the Output only, in stereo, one goes to the Monitor only, in stereo, and one goes to the Monitor only, in mono. The mono'ing is done in OBS, using the checkbox in the Advanced Audio Properties. I have a pair of hotkeys set up to mute/unmute the two Monitor-only copies, so I effectively have a stereo/mono switch on the keyboard, without affecting the stream. That lets me check the mix both ways and make sure it still works, since a lot of viewers have their speakers too close together to appreciate a stereo image.

And I've been PM'ing a guy on here for quite a while now, about his playing a guitar and singing, while recording or streaming that in OBS. What (good and cheap) gear to buy, how to use it, how to set up OBS, pretty soon figured out that he really needed something better for audio processing and then bring that into OBS as a finished soundtrack, etc.

Even outside of music, the Monitor is still useful for a mic input, even a real mic. Because it's the only audio out of OBS that isn't tied up in a stream or recording, that's how you get it into a remote meeting like Zoom, Skype, Jitsi, etc. OBS operates as if it were running a live stream, except that it's not actually streaming. Instead, the meeting picks up OBS's Virtual Camera, just like any other camera, and the audio comes from OBS's Monitor, through a loopback. A loopback is a virtual speaker and a virtual mic, so that whatever you send to that "speaker" goes nowhere physical but appears in that "mic". Set up the apps accordingly; they don't know the difference between that and a physical mic or speaker.

Of course, the ability to send a mic to a speaker *does* create the possibility of a feedback loop. But to remove that ability would break a TON of different workflows. If it's going to be flexible enough for anyone to use, then you kinda need to understand how to run a console, even if you don't have one, to use it well. Because the same pitfalls exist for the same reasons.
I get what you're saying, I'll do more research to see if maybe there's another way I can get it to work how I need it to. Thanks for the info though.

AaronD

I am trying to set up OBS to record my game audio and my microphone audio separately to save me quite a bit of difficulty during the editing process however, when I go to the audio monitoring settings and change the microphone to "monitor only (mute output)" it's not actually muting the output and I still hear my microphone audio playing through my headphones. I'm sure you can see how this might be an issue for recording videos, so hopefully we can get this issue resolved soon.
I think what you're actually looking for is the Tracks selection in the Advanced Audio Properties. That's fed from the Output path, immediately after the Output/Monitor selection.

Each Track can accept any number of things to mix together, but they don't mix with each other.
  • In Simple mode (Settings -> Output), you only have Track 1, and there's no option to change that.
  • In Advanced mode, you can choose which one Track to stream and which Track(s) to record. Recording multiple Tracks results in "alternative audio" that can be selected on playback, or mixed later like you want.

Polarilla

I think what you're actually looking for is the Tracks selection in the Advanced Audio Properties. That's fed from the Output path, immediately after the Output/Monitor selection.

Each Track can accept any number of things to mix together, but they don't mix with each other.
  • In Simple mode (Settings -> Output), you only have Track 1, and there's no option to change that.
  • In Advanced mode, you can choose which one Track to stream and which Track(s) to record. Recording multiple Tracks results in "alternative audio" that can be selected on playback, or mixed later like you want.
I'll have to check it out for sure, thanks again