Audio lags after opening PowerPoint

Bijan11

Hi guys,

in the last weeks I have th eproblem, that my audio lags after I open a PowerPoint File.
It even lags after I go to presentation mode.

The lag is sometimes 4-5 seconds. Do you guys have an idea why this happens and how i can solve this problem?
I´m using virtual cable from vb-audio. com

I have a new Microsft surface book 3.
Windows 10
OBS 27.2.4 64 bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz 1.50 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
16 GB Ram

Do you need more information?

Thank you so much for your help!
Best Michael

Bijan11

Hi guys, I tried many things and I found out that it not only happens with PowerPoint but also with other programs. Sometimes I get a dealy of 30 seconds or more.

Does anyone has an idea why this happens?

Thank you. :)

Lawrence_SoCal

Most likely your system is overloaded
real-time video encoding is VERY computationally demanding.
The Surface is a thin and light, low-power system, optimized for battery life, not the computationally demanding task of real-time video encoding. And is definitely subject to thermal throttling

I recommend monitoring hardware resource (CPU, GPU, RAM, Disk I/O, etc) utilization [for ex. using Task manager’s Performance tab and/or Resource Monitor] to see if your system is being maxed out with your settings.
As for optimizing your operating system (OS) and OBS for an under-powered system: it depends... on your overall usage, what can be turned off/turned down, etc. such optimization can often be as much art as science

your system can't handle running virtual cable. it is a very intensive program that uses a lot of cpu. even if you could handle it. you really need a program like process lasso to allow you to set the virtual cable program to always high. or maybe there is a process priority option in settings I don't know. this would account for much of the lag. personally I can't really help you with your audio problem. obs doesn't instanteously stream audio. it buffers it by a couple of milliseconds which mistimes the audio when I try to use it. if im going to record a video I do the complicated process of recording the speaker audio with a iphone and then recording the source and combining them. so I don't really know how to get audio to work well in obs when live streaming which is what I assume your doing. disabling buffering on the capture card can help. personally I lower the framerate of the canvas from the source by several fps to make the stream more live. however I don't think it will help with a 5 second audio sync issue. you could also try going into your microphone in sound settings in windows and setting it to the lowest possible sound quality. but I think some things are just a limitation of obs. the maximum sound delay you should naturally have is a second. I wouldn't expect anything anywhere near 5 seconds.

once process lasso is installed make sure to give process lasso all the processes it has access to and turn off game mode as well as turn off change the power profile when game mode is on

open up obs64.exe. during the trial period, right click obs64.exe in process lasso set watchdog advanced rules.

this should help.

guide

1. download process lasso

2. during the trial period or after youve purchased it. go to process watchdog

3. it isnt possible to optimize windows around the inefficiencies of meltdown. instead accept the inefficiencies and allow the computer to use the majority of its processing power when it is most efficient.

4. more than 62 percent cpu set io priority to low if memory usage by any memory metric is less than 3 set io priority to high.

explanation

it is designed to temporarily slow things down. the idea is to cause the game to freeze temporarily for a second. this would be a time though when its operating very inefficiently because of the meltdown patch. this time is then used to improve performance dramatically.

the amd settings may just be more accurate for my processor which is a ryzen 3 3250u. these may work on intel as well. its just intel wasnt as finicky with these settings possibly because i haven't owned a dual core intel machine in a while.

also to reduce heat output go to windows r control panel power options create a power profile based on power saver set all watch video settings and picture quality settings to prefer battery life/ performance. and set the pci link to prefer battery life. you can set the integrated graphics to prefer maximum performance. for minimum/maximum performance state set both to 100. process lasso will prevent the system from using processing power when it's inefficient if using the settings below. although obs generally doesn't use much processing power. essentially if the cpu would start using enough cpu to be ineffective. process lasso would lower the io priority so it's only using processing power when it's most efficient. when it is efficient it raises the io priority to increase fps. all in all if you run all your important programs in process lasso you won't be maxing out the processors power consumption and the processor can stay at higher clock speeds for longer while consuming less power.