Question / Help ATEM MINI OBS Audio Stops and Does Not Return

vapeahoy

Havent had time to play with this thing yet, but usb-c to usb-c (3.0, think it was 3.0 maybe 3.1) cable didnt work for me. I had to switch to a usb c-a active cable. I'm using separate, dedicated solution for audio anyway. I just couldnt get a signal without it. So probably some manufacturing defect on the cable or it simply didnt fully support the newer usb protocol. Kinda like unusual displayport cables doesnt support higher res monitors (rbr). ill do some audio/video latency offset testing. Just not in a rush atm. It seems rather good tho!

dennist2020

Hello, I have the same issue: brand new ATEM Mini, no sound in OBS. I'll try a different cable as vapeahoy suggests. Any other fixes?

vapeahoy

Some motherboards have different usb chipsets. So use device manager, or similar, to see where it connects. Some funky effects that can be done with this, not sure how but i managed to fill the same "cam" with 2 cameras overlaying each other in a gradient overlay mask effect.

I looked over some topics on this product and I agree with what's being said there that a lot of the buttons would be better for doing macros or more "scene" effects. But coupling this device with a stream deck seems pretty darn great. It's just that it's obvious it would be even better with a device that simply have it all in it's own entity, instead of managing "effects" from separate software and hardware products. Then again, we're in the streaming pioneer age still.
The Atem mini pro version didn't have much more value unless you want a all in one encoder box as well. Curious how strong the encoder is in that one tho and if it can be customized to a decent degree, ie ffmpeg parameters equivalent or such.

OH and one more thing in regard to the audio, it may be reflected with the PIP effect in Atem Setup with the keep or drop options. As a bug i mean, i havent tried audio on it yet, as i dont have any mini jack devices. It would be cool tho to perhaps setup a raspberry pi that was queued into a cam channel and then have audio playback from that instantly. Use cases such as pause music, or simply just a music player - voteable or not f.ex.

Wish the device was more nerd oriented for game streaming in short. But its a great tool and i hope we see more of this. There is a niche to fill here, for sure.

McJak

I have the same issue with the sound is droppin of over time.
If i restart OBS the sound is in sync, than after time (1min-1hour) there is a point when
audio isnt in sync anymore. I`ve tried different cables and the atem control software is intalled.
I have the same issue with obs on mac and on pc.

Please help me! Greeting from Germany

clayneh

I just want to chime in and confirm that I can't get audio into OBS from the ATEM Mini. I have signal in the ATEM software, but nothing is getting to OBS. Has anyone found a solution to this? I'm using a Mac.

ShaneYancey

I am having a similar problem:
We have sound from ATEM mini fine for a while, and then at some random time it drops out. The ATEM still has audio (the levels still show that it is getting sound) but the OBS no longer gets sounds. If I restart OBS the sound works again.

Has anyone found a reason for this yet? I am not at that computer tonight, but I can post a log file tomorrow .

jogyth

Same problem here - with a brand new ATEM Mini Pro.

Audio dissapears after a while if I just stay put in OBS - but if I wander off to Chrome or other programs - sound dissapears instantly.

This is a major issue. Have anyone checked if the same problems occur in Wirecast? This is such a big issue that I can't use the ATEM - so considering switching. I'm 99% convinced this is a problem with OBS and not the ATEM switcher.

Julian H

Same here with an ATEM Mini.
We also had chrome open, while after one hour the sound just droped while livestreaming.
But it also helps, just to disable the audio interface in obs, so we can keep the livestream.

Because we had this issue for the last two sundays, we added a new hardware audio interface for the stream sound as a backup.
So we have the ATEM sound mapped to the ATEM caputure device and a global aux channel for the backup sound.
Unfortunately, today the ATEM sound dropped again, and also killed the backup Interface. After disabling and enabling the custom audio interface in the ATEM capture device (in OBS) both interface came back.

I will try to close chrome and see if this really fixes the problem.
Wirecast could also be interesting, but I'm still not sure if its an OBS or ATEM Problem

PayYAYevryTing

Skip audio as it's all up too you there, we don't have same headset and taste her im sure.
Same with hotkeys, skip too advanced.

Advanced: set to deafault and then change -https://origin-us.gyazo.com/11d25cd8702f879d7f76b1118efa62c8.png

x264 CPU Preset too: Ultrafast (for streamers - keep it veryfast)

that's it, ignore the rest under, if you're a streamer u should research up the 2 under urself, not really needed though, u can do fine without them, but they can help u be more proffessional.

csi92

Lots of fun, not. My experience: ATEM Mini Pro connected to Windows 10 PC via USB. I have both video and audio from the ATEM using 2 different setups. 1 - Both video and audio coming from a Video Capture device source. 2 - Video from Video Capture Device source and audio from Audio Capture Device source. The behavior I see is the same for both setups: the video and audio work fine for anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes and then I hear what sounds like the audio fading when an amplifier is unplugged from the wall. However, the sound does not go away, but rather is restored but delayed by 1 or more seconds after the video. The meters within the ATEM still show the audio in sync with the video while it is delayed in OBS. If I only have 1 source configured (Video Capture Device), then when this happens, I can deactivate and reactivate that source and the audio gets reset back to normal. OBS continues running as before. The other way to reset is to quit and restart OBS. Neither of these are acceptable. My alternate method is to use a mixer with a USB port. That is rock solid in OBS. I do have to delay that audio by about 100ms to bring the audio in sync with the video (no problem in OBS). I much prefer rock solid. And it's a shame that this problem exists because it removes the ability to use the cool built-in ATEM audio tools. I hope Blackmagic will take a look at this and help get it resolved quickly.

csi92

I just tested this with Audacity and found the same issue occurring. The audio becomes delayed by 1 or more seconds after a period of minutes after starting the record function in Audacity. This leads me to conclude it is a Blackmagic issue since both OBS and Audacity are affected in the same way.

Julian H

I did some more test with the different options to add the audio and for our setup it makes a difference if I set the audio as a custom audio interface to the video input device (which does not work properly, as @csi92 reported as setup 1) or to leave the default for cam audio and add the ATEM mini sound as a dedicated "audio input device" as a source for the specific scene (setup 2).

The first setup had the same problem as @csi92 :
1589928572589.png

after 20 seconds the audio paused and got pretty delayed, and after 95 seconds obs had no signal for at least 7 minutes, while in the ATEM the sound was there.

With setup 2 however, i could stream and record for 2,5 hours with no interruption.
1589934092337.png

For the video device i put it back to default mode (no custom audio device) and muted it in the scene.
1589933697199.png

The overall sync gap with version 2 was between 4 and 8 Frames (133ms and 266), so still checking where this comes from.
Some youtubers report an issue with the mic/line input of the ATEM mini.

csi92

More info on my previous post about the audio suddenly getting delayed by 1 to 2 seconds. I'm doing more testing to narrow down the culprit one piece at a time.

SPECIFICS: I'm running OBS 25.0.4 (not the latest version). I have 1 camcorder connected to HDMI 1 port of ATEM. I am pulling both video and audio from that camcorder. No other inputs are being used on the ATEM Mini Pro. The ATEM is plugged in to a USB3 interface card (Inateck). The card is probably a few years old. It is using the drivers that come with Win 10 as I have not installed any drivers from Inateck. I reran my tests this morning. Results are that the crackling sound consistenly occurs between 2.5 and 3.5 minutes after starting OBS or deactivating and reactivating the Video Capture Device source in OBS for the ATEM. I have now moved the ATEM to the built in USB2 port of the Dell Optiplex 990. After running OBS for over an hour, the issue does NOT occur. It appears the CAUSE of my specific issue is the Inateck USB 3 card I have installed.

I have now installed the Win 10 driver from the Inateck website and have retested the above scenario using the ATEM connected to the USB3 card. My results: Failed again at just under 3 minutes.

I have now updated OBS to the latest version as of today - 25.0.8. I have retested the same scenario again. Results: Failed again at just under 3 minutes.

The ROOT CAUSE is the Inateck USB3 card (KTU3FR-4P REV:3D).

Regarding any question as to whether the ATEM Mini Pro can work with USB2 ports, it does. I looked in the ATEM Mini manual and could not find any mention of USB 2 vs. USB 3. So my testing confirms USB 2 works.

Janis urtans

I aswell am looking for a solution, on my laptop all works fine, but on pc it has these issues, so it is not hardware problem. So far my solution, so I dont have to stop live stream, ive found, that if u go to atem mini video capture device, which is active, and if u have lost sounds, u have to go to properties, go and pres deactivate it and then activate it and OK, it ll fix audio without ending live stream, but it wont solve the problem and it may happen many times at live stream, I have plan to check all drivers and probably i ll try to look for usb3 card, to check if it is what is causing the problems. Im using usb3 port, but I already got some issues to connect atem mini to obs, only after i updated usb3 drivers, it kind a fixed the problem, but now I have this random software issue, i got feeling it is bcos of obs and usb 3 drivers..

oppifra

Hi! New member here. Registered mainly because of this issue.
Version 25.0.8 (64 bit)
Atem mini (non-pro)
During a wedding-stream yesterday I lost sound. Unfortunately I didn't managed to get it back - was so afraid of loosing it all.

I have done massive testing today to reproduce the issue, and find the fastest way to solve it.

Two different ways to reproduce it:
1. Remove headphones from my laptop (only when disconnecting)
2. Deactivating speakers in Settings (activating it does not remove the sound)

In both these cases ATEM Software Control does have sound (bars moving).

Solution to reset and get sound back (i follow these steps):
1. Sources - Properties (or double click your Source)
2. Turn off "Use custom audio device" (Audio Device : Microphone (Blackmagic Design)) -> Press OK
3. Go back into Sources - Properties (or double click your Source) (same as step 1)
4. Turn back on "Use custom audio device" (Audio Device : Microphone (Blackmagic Design)) -> Press OK

This helps for me, but I really hope for a fix! Makes me a bit nervous before my next live streaming tomorrow ;-)

ono_zd

I also just had the issue mentioned in this post on Windows 10. Sound would die randomly after a few minutes, and I could get it back by toggling on and off. I finally gave up (being almost an hour late on my livestream and lost all initial viewers) and used the built in streaming on the Atem Mini Pro (thus loosing overlays). It was stable for over 3 hrs, which was great. Previously I was using the Elgato Game Capture HD, which never had this issue.

bushey

SOLUTION! We have an ATEM Mini switcher as a Video Capture Device into OBS. OBS audio would crash after awhile or immediately upon opening an internet browser (didn’t matter which browser). It didn’t happen on the laptop we tried, but it would crash immediately upon opening Chrome on both desktops we experimented with. I tried everything I could think of in OBS and Windows and also removed drivers and software and reinstalled. I worked for HOURS trying to find the cause. I never found a fix, but discovered a workaround.

Add an Audio Capture Device and set it to the ATEM’s microphone. You can then mute this and never use it, but somehow it registers OBS as needing that audio device for its processing and won’t kick off the audio when another application is started or when the processor believes it’s not being used. As soon as I did that, the crashing stopped. I actually renamed the Audio Capture Device “DO NOT REMOVE THIS LINE!” so it wouldn’t be seen as useless and get deleted.

As it turned out, we then discovered we were also having audio-video sync issues, and ended up unmuting the ATEM Mini’s Audio Capture Device and muting the ATEM Mini’s Video Capture Device. We also had to check “Use Device Timestamps” in the Audio Capture Device settings to clear up our sync issues. Everything seems to be working beautifully now.

I hope this saves someone the weeks of aggravation I endured! …and maybe helps an OBS developer solve the bug.

TekArt Multimedia

I did it a slightly different way....
I disabled the audio from the Atem Mini Video Capture input:
(Turn off "Use custom audio device" -> Press OK)

I then added an independent Audio Input Capture device (Microphone (Blackmagic Design)) -> Press OK
Check "Use Device Timestamps".

The handling of audio works a better now. Also, I can now add the Audio Capture to a scene where I may not need to have video captured (A slide set for instance).

samowab

Alt. Solution! (I registered only to share this..I am so happy right now)

Use virtual cable! (https://vb-audio.com/Cable/)
Since you can "hear" your Atem Mini sounds via windows property - recording - check "listen with this device"(IDK I'm using Korean Ver. Windows), just select virtual cable as a listening device!
After that, just add that cable as a secondary speaker in OBS.
DONE.

There is something fundamentally wrong with Atem Mini Pro... I own 2 and only one works fine.
Well, no more headaches for me.
Hope you find this as your solution as well.