Question / Help ATEM MINI OBS Audio Stops and Does Not Return

seedlings

https://obsproject.com/logs/0HDON2aOtgO9EpU1

Using ATEM mini USB into laptop as the only source. Starting OBS the meter shows audio fine, records fine, streams fine. For a while. A while can be a minute or 10 minutes, then there is no audio input displayed or audible. This happens when streaming, recording or just sitting there with OBS open. Close OBS and reopen to find audio has returned (for a little while).

I sure appreciate any help.

Further details:
Audio from sound board into Sony HXR-NX100 camera. (audio does not drop)
HDMI from camera to ATEM Mini. (audio does not drop from HDMI)
USB-C to USB-C into Dell XPS 13 9365 laptop
OBS, no other programs running
ATEM Mini has latest 8.1 software

seedlings

Update: I am 7 minutes into a direct live-stream on facebook using ATEM Mini as webcam. The audio has been fine so far. I will go maybe 15 minutes, then call it good. This should demonstrate the Mini is ok, and it's the connection to OBS that has some trouble.

ETA made it 16 minutes with no audio loss.

Last edited:

Narcogen

Are you adding the ATEM as a video capture device or a BlackMagic device?

The mini is a new device, and that driver is for Decklink cards-- I honestly don't know which of these capture choices is best suited for this device, but it may be worth trying the other one, whichever you're using.

seedlings

Video Capture, then Blackmagic in the dropdown. What’s the other way? Edit: also have to select Blackmagic mic in the audio dropdown

Narcogen

There should be a "BlackMagic Device" capture type as well. (A general source type, not a subset of "video capture". I'm not sure if that will work better for the ATEM or not, I'm interested to find out myself.

seedlings

I do not see a blackmagic option straight off the sources menu.

Attachments

• obs atem mini sources.jpg
    obs atem mini sources.jpg
    621.2 KB · Views: 672

seedlings

However... 14 minutes ago I set up an Audio Input Capture Device and set it to the Blackmagic microphone. So far, it has stayed in sync. Thoughts on having the Audio and Video in separate 'devices'?

Narcogen

Ah, well, if that's the one they say to use, I have to assume that's correct. I know the BlackMagic specific capture method is intended for decklink cards. What options are available in the properties tab of the ATEM in this configuration?

Narcogen

However... 14 minutes ago I set up an Audio Input Capture Device and set it to the Blackmagic microphone. So far, it has stayed in sync. Thoughts on having the Audio and Video in separate 'devices'?

I've occasionally done that. I think some people find that for certain devices they don't get audio passthrough any other way. YMMV. If it works for you, do it. In specific, I've done that sometimes with a BlackMagic Intensity Shuttle.

palitovl

Hi!! I'm stuck in the same issue. When I start OBS I can see the sound wave in the videosource, but after a random time (maybe 1 minute, maybe 1 hour) the wave goes flat and I can't get any sound, although I can see the wave in the Atem Software Control.

If I restart OBS I get the sound back again, but I can't do that while a streaming!!!

I've switch the ATEM USB input to a USB3.0 port and I get less hangouts than when it was into a regular USB port. But I still get hangouts.

I'm using OBS 24.0.3 but I can't see the "Blackmagic Device" you say!

palitovl

I've realised that I can have OBS open for hours and the sound doesn't drop out, but when I open the Chrome browser in order to open Facebook, then the sound goes out.

palitovl

I've realised that I can have OBS open for hours and the sound doesn't drop out, but when I open the Chrome browser in order to open Facebook, then the sound goes out.

It happens also when I plug the phones into the PC.

So, I'm streaming using 2 computers:
-PC 1 runs OBS
-PC 2 runs Chrome and Facebook

This works, but it has several cons:
- you have to type manually the streaming key
- you need 2 PC
- it's difficult to adjust sound, because you can't listen to it directly from OBS, you have to listen to it through the Facebook streaming, with the delay. So you have to adjust-wait 30sec-check if it correct over and over again...

rak500

Hi!! I'm stuck in the same issue. When I start OBS I can see the sound wave in the videosource, but after a random time (maybe 1 minute, maybe 1 hour) the wave goes flat and I can't get any sound, although I can see the wave in the Atem Software Control.

If I restart OBS I get the sound back again, but I can't do that while a streaming!!!

I've switch the ATEM USB input to a USB3.0 port and I get less hangouts than when it was into a regular USB port. But I still get hangouts.

I'm using OBS 24.0.3 but I can't see the "Blackmagic Device" you say!

The ATEM Mini is USB 3.0! It needs 3.0 to function correctly.

To add an ATEM Mini, select add/Video Capture Device and select "Blackmagic Design". It's seen as a webcamm by the PC it is connected on. Then I added an Audio Input Capture to get the ATEM's PGM audio output from the webcam signal. The ATEM Mini mono audio source that's added when I add the ATEM Mini doesn't seem to do much and I can't get rid of it.

Did you install the ATEM Control software as well? I think this helps to add some drivers if necessary: while the ATEM is supposed to be seen as a webcam, your mileage may vary with windows updates and other stuff. Also, the ATEM Ctrl Sw will show you what's going on with the audio.

EDIT: I did my first live last friday, and had no audio issues for 3+ hours.
EDIT bis: I found how to have both audio and video in the same source. I forgot how I did it the first time: when adding the source, select the "Use Custom Audio Devis" option and select "Microphone (Blackmagic Design)" and it's all good!

Last edited:

Cra1gscott87

Sorry to reopen a "oldish" thread but this seems to be the only place this issue is mentioned!

So, has anyone found a fix or actually what the issue is for this? Like above, when I open facebook, the audio cuts out from my Atem mini in my obs scene, no matter what I do it doesnt return, until I close (which stops the stream) and reopen obs and the sound is magically there again!

Any advice would be great as its driving me insane, as it doesnt appear to be a common issue!