ASIO support

Muf said:
Smashbro29 said:
I got equipment that's held back considerably without the support. 24 bit audio has a lot more headroom, headroom is never a bad thing.
You don't need ASIO for 24 bit audio.

The nice man who works for the company who made my interface disagrees but if he's wrong. Awesome! http://www.guitarcenter.com/Focusrite-S ... 1882544.gc

It just so happens right before I saw this I was wondering why I couldn't record in 24 bit but using Audacity with my interface despite the fact that the advertising clearly stated 24 bit recording only to be told on the phone that 24 bit recording is only available using a program with ASIO support, then I saw the thread and realized having it would make my stream sound even better.

Muf

Forum Moderator
Allow me to reiterate what I said to another Focusrite user:

Muf said:
So basically, your sound card has crippled WDM drivers? That doesn't really sound like a feature of ASIO.

Please, complain to Focusrite that they're intentionally limiting the functionality of the WDM drivers in favour of ASIO. There is nothing preventing 24-bit / 192KHz operation working through WASAPI or DirectSound, other than the people writing the drivers for your specific piece of hardware. Understand that although I may come over as harsh or unsympathetic, this really is an issue between you and your hardware vendor. ASIO support is a nice feature to have, but it is not a priority for OBS right now. You are also free to buy hardware interfaces made by quality vendors like Roland or M-Audio, which have properly functioning drivers and do not require ASIO to "unlock" certain functionality.

Muf said:
Allow me to reiterate what I said to another Focusrite user:

Muf said:
So basically, your sound card has crippled WDM drivers? That doesn't really sound like a feature of ASIO.

Please, complain to Focusrite that they're intentionally limiting the functionality of the WDM drivers in favour of ASIO. There is nothing preventing 24-bit / 192KHz operation working through WASAPI or DirectSound, other than the people writing the drivers for your specific piece of hardware. Understand that although I may come over as harsh or unsympathetic, this really is an issue between you and your hardware vendor. ASIO support is a nice feature to have, but it is not a priority for OBS right now. You are also free to buy hardware interfaces made by quality vendors like Roland or M-Audio, which have properly functioning drivers and do not require ASIO to "unlock" certain functionality.

I bought what I did on recommendation from a few self proclaimed audiophiles so I'm fairly ignorant I'm not trying to butt heads just trying to learn. Even without the 24 bit issue there's the incredibly stupid issue with using the device directly; each microphone goes to one "channel" which means microphone 1 goes to the left channel and microphone 2 goes to the right which is beyond annoying to listen to (or so I'm told).

jTactics

This is why i want ASIO support, I stream FL Studio and my audience cannot hear my stream if i do any recordings, direct sound works if you dont play an instrument or use your mic. Producer streams are becoming more popular since twitch now allows music. I know many producers that have been trying to find a work around with VAC. I have yet to get anything to work.

Thanks.

dmbyer

You all might want to look at a different DAW depending on what you're using. I use Live and it only allows ASIO / MME (DirectX) but not WDM, so the possibility doesn't even exist to TRY WDM and see if the performance is OK. I am as a result looking at Reaper or BitWig (but have yet to find out of BitWig is WDM or MME). The trick will then be to find an audio interface with a decent WDM implementation...

Looks like the Steinberg license is pretty prohibitive barring some kind of individual per-user build as described above with what Audacity does. That's unfortunate because ASIO would be pretty nice to have, as a producer who streams, in OBS. Being stuck with MME over ASIO is like having to use on-board CPU-processed video in lieu of my GTX 650 Ti Boost for gaming. Also, let's be honest, asking an audio interface designer to do "WDM right" is like asking asking a high performance video card manufacturer to put VGA on their cards. Those days are past.

The only workaround that really exists is to route your audio interface (via physical cable like S/PDIF) to the on-board audio and use the "Listen to this device" configuration with your on-board audio as the default output in Windows. OBS could then pull mic input from your audio interface (mapped to the Windows WAVE source in your DSP/mixer of course) and the audio from your on-board interface that's echoing the output from your audio interface. A real joke, but hey, it's just one cheap cable and a moderate time investment to get it "working."

Also, in defense of the devs, adding support for something that affects like 1/10,000 people using this software isn't exactly their top priority. So us producers are stuck with hack workarounds or crap audio performance.

ssph80

Also, as far as I know ASIO is exclusive so no two apps can use the same ASIO device at the same time
the reason i want ASIO is so I can stream Ableton Live sets, of music....using the DirectX drivers creates a lot glitches and latency and extr cpu load and freezing in Ableton.....

you can use youtube....and watch videos AND play music out of ableton....at the same time...using ASIO, so that is two applications using it at once...right?

no one in professional music industry uses MME drivers or the ones that come with the computer.....everyone uses ASIO...because it allows way better performance and easier processsing

how hard is it to implement that in the code, to allow ASIO

Currently the base product is what needs the most attention.
actually i think the streaming and video are really good and amazing

Last edited:

Haris

If you're using an external audio interface, it comes with drivers. Those drivers include ASIO. That ASIO isn't the same as ASIO4all. The audio interface can handle both ASIO and normal drivers at the same time that's why you can listen to youtube videos and play music on Live at the same time.
I'm really looking forward playing with Ableton on my stream but at the moment I can only imagine how it would be.

P.S.
There is probably some option that will actually lets Ableton Live's sound play through the normal driver on my RME Babyface interface which I can't really find.
Please add ASIO support OBS <3

emaugust

No one seems to be able to work with ASIO drivers - I use Manycam and not OBS but here is the easiest workaround:

Run a stereo audio cable from a stereo out on your soundcard (Headphones works good) to the microphone in on your computer. All computers these days should have a crappy stock mic/headphone input.

Then set your microphone in as your source and use your ableton as normal. You can either choose to use a mic source in live or a regular mic at this point.

As long as you have a dedicated soundcard for audio production this is the stupid simple workaround. Far far easier than using ASIO4ALL though I am certain that utility addresses certain edge cases this basic method does not.

Hope that helps.