ASIO support

StrikerX3

I wonder what would be the advantage over regular audio capture. ASIO requires full exclusive access to the sound card, which means you'd be hearing nothing from your games.

I can envision one particular situation where that would be great, and that requires at least two sound cards. Even then, the advantage is minimal.

TokinPodPilot

It's doing for audio what OBS already has for video. The ability to pick and choose which source on an application basis to include or exclude from a stream. As things stand now, you have to use something like Virtual Audio Cable (not free) or hope your StereoMix is working well enough to separate audio feeds. As a broadcaster/producer, I can't see how having direct or as-close to direct control over audio sources would not be an advantage. That's like saying we don't need any other mode of video capture other than screen region capture.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
ASIO has that feature? I was under the impression that ASIO was more for real time recording/processing, only thing I ever used it for were my music studio apps where you can set the performance to 10ms and such so you can do things such as record instruments with comptuer-generated effects in near real-time.

TokinPodPilot

But, isn't that sort of what is being asked for and kind of needed. For instance, I'd like to present a livestream to an audience with gameplay and music and all commentary of a live panel/teamspeak chatter, but I would also like to maintain a local copy with just gameplay audio for later editing without having to sacrifice gameplay audio because it's all mixed in with stuff I can't upload to YouTube because of licensing nonsense. With the ability to pick and choose sources much the same way OBS does now with video inputs/sources.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Tell me how specifically this is done via ASIO? Just out of curiosity, because I am unfamiliar with it being able to separate general computer output mixing

Muf

Forum Moderator
Just to clarify, ASIO does no such thing by itself. In Dutch we would say "You've heard the milk splash but you can't find the nipple".

Also lol @ the linked article:
An ASIO driver is not a driver in the sense you're probably used to, e.g., some kernel mode nasty binary thing which sits at the bottom of the operating system. An ASIO driver is a COM object which talks to your soundcard. How it does this varies from card to card, and I don't know the exact mechanics.
How it does this is by having a kernel mode nasty binary thing talk straight to the hardware, usually. That's also where the low latency comes from.

Sharkbyt3

So I honestly don't know what use ASIO would have as far as games go, but ASIO is mainly used for audio production and latency free audio. It's much faster than an on board sound card (assuming you have a really nice audio card). Pretty much what Muf said.

I would use it if I wanted to stream making music and needed the low latency for recording and playback, not for games.

ASIO4ALL is a good starting point to look into it, I think. It's pretty nifty.

sp33s

ASIO is more than just latency guys. I own a Focusrite 8i6 which has multiple inputs and outputs. The multiple outputs are only available via ASIO. It's not just a latency thing, more audiocards have way more options when using ASIO (not to be confused with ASIO4All). My Focusrite for instance has a "what you hear" output, among others. I *need* to use this for OBS, to record my game audio. The normal WDM drivers (which OBS relies on) do not support this. More professional cards have the ASIO support to rely on, so in these cases ASIO is essential in OBS.

Is there a chance this will ever be supported? Audacity had some problems with ASIO support due to it belonging to Steinberg and there were some license conflicts which doesn't allow them to put in ASIO support. But I would actually pay money to have ASIO support in OBS because it renders my audio device useless, and I really sincerely love OBS.

edit: I'm a complete retard, apparently under the Desktop Audio Device I'm able to select from the list of output devices and not input devices (such as mic and line-ins). Still ASIO support would be great due to all the options ASIO has with the different ins/outs.

Muf

Forum Moderator
sp33s said:
ASIO is more than just latency guys. I own a Focusrite 8i6 which has multiple inputs and outputs. The multiple outputs are only available via ASIO. It's not just a latency thing, more audiocards have way more options when using ASIO (not to be confused with ASIO4All). My Focusrite for instance has a "what you hear" output, among others.
So basically, your sound card has crippled WDM drivers? That doesn't really sound like a feature of ASIO.

sp33s

What specifically are you referring to with "that doesn't really sound like a feature of ASIO"?

And from a developer point of view I *kind* of get it. Most audio people work with ASIO, therefore most functionality is put there. In other words, I understand why WDM doesn't have the leverage here. And the ASIO bit can't be picked up there. So that would be something that'd be really nice to have in OBS.

WayZHC

Hmmmm i was just thinking it would be easy to make some guitar covers with obs. If there was ASIO support i could do some highquality recordings with my audio interface (native instruments komplete audio 6). For localrecordings would be cool to be able record to wav 24bit 96KHz.

dsyd

Here is what I wanted to do: mix multiple audio inputs (multiple microphone sources) via REAPER DAW and use REAPER's Rearoute driver to send the output to OBS as mixed audio. This would allow me to simultaneously take a full recording in REAPER of each audio source for post-editing and have a rough mix for live streaming. Unfortunately, Rearoute provides ASIO-only output and I could not find a way of converting this into a DirectSound or WDM source so that it could be used in OBS. My workaround for now is to physically wire the audio interface output into my internal sound card, but this is not an ideal solution as it degrades the quality of the sound.

My point is that simply because an audio interface provides DirectSound/WDM drivers as well as ASIO does not mean that OBS doesn't need to support ASIO. OBS does not offer much in the way of audio mixing, and having ASIO support would allow it to be used with other tools that do offer audio mixing features but only work with ASIO output.

Muf

Forum Moderator
dsyd said:
Here is what I wanted to do: mix multiple audio inputs (multiple microphone sources) via REAPER DAW and use REAPER's Rearoute driver to send the output to OBS as mixed audio. This would allow me to simultaneously take a full recording in REAPER of each audio source for post-editing and have a rough mix for live streaming. Unfortunately, Rearoute provides ASIO-only output and I could not find a way of converting this into a DirectSound or WDM source so that it could be used in OBS. My workaround for now is to physically wire the audio interface output into my internal sound card, but this is not an ideal solution as it degrades the quality of the sound.

My point is that simply because an audio interface provides DirectSound/WDM drivers as well as ASIO does not mean that OBS doesn't need to support ASIO. OBS does not offer much in the way of audio mixing, and having ASIO support would allow it to be used with other tools that do offer audio mixing features but only work with ASIO output.
ASIO4ALL with Virtual Audio Cable will enable you to do what you are describing.

Muf said:
ASIO4ALL with Virtual Audio Cable will enable you to do what you are describing.

ASIO4ALL will reserve the audio devices in question. In Reaper you'd configure the inputs accordingly and route the output to Virtual Audio Cable (or what I'm using, VB-Cable). However, the virtual cable is still reserved by the ASIO driver and as such cannot be used as an input for OBS. And that is exactly why ASIO support would be great.

Muf

Forum Moderator
DryRoastedLemon said:
ASIO4ALL will reserve the audio devices in question. In Reaper you'd configure the inputs accordingly and route the output to Virtual Audio Cable (or what I'm using, VB-Cable). However, the virtual cable is still reserved by the ASIO driver and as such cannot be used as an input for OBS. And that is exactly why ASIO support would be great.
Nonsense, I use this scheme personally and it works fine. What you do is, in ASIO4ALL you expand the Virtual Audio Cable device (click the [+] button) and only enable the "Out". That will leave the "In" available for OBS to record from.

Also, as far as I know ASIO is exclusive so no two apps can use the same ASIO device at the same time. Your feature request is baseless. ASIO support has no place in OBS.