Question / Help Apex Legends FPS drops

EduardoCLJ

I'm having the exact same problem as you with Apex Legends specifically.

The below is a collection of fixes I've found for this "Rendering Lag" problem for Apex, although I am still waiting for a bigger fix as clearly many people are able to record and stream it with no issues. I've done all of the below and it's allowed me to stream and record under certain conditions, but it's certainly not at the level I want it to be.

1. Fully update windows 10 to the latest version (people have suggested going back to get rid of an update which caused this issue, but it's impractical and opens your PC up for viruses etc.)
2. Once updated, search for "Windows Game Bar" - Turn this off
3. Search for "Windows Game Mode" - Turn this off (This basically forces the PC to put all GPU power into a game, leaving none for OBS, so turning it off leaves a bit more free for OBS)
4. Whichever game you are trying to record and stream, add an in-game FPS limit to it, 120 works for some, but 60 is a safer bet.
5. OBS keeps scenes playing in the background to allow you to swap to them, you can right-click on webcam's, videos and audiotracks, and you can turn these to "disable when not in use", which will free up some power for OBS (although does make scene transitions look a bit less smooth unless you use studio mode to do it.
6. If you use a webcam, make it a lower resolution for you gaming scene, typically people only use a small image for their webcam whilst streaming, so having it at 1080 is pointless and using power that is unnecessary - you can keep it at 1080 for a full-screen scene, but make sure "disable when not in use" is ticked so that OBS is not processing this all the time.

These are all of the fixes that I am aware of currently, and they have all helped me slightly, however I am still digging for more information on how to get OBS working with Apex Legends so if anyone can add more to my list, please let me know.

My problem was the damn game mode. I turned it off and OBS worked like a charm.

Thank you very much, guys, for your help on this issue. <3

Sylv

Anyone having this issue with Streaming Apex Legends?

I believe the game may just not be well optimized or I may be doing something wrong, but I’ve never had this problem before.

When I’m playing the game it runs super smooth on any video setting I have. But my stream is struggling with occasional dropped frames ?! I stream with NVENC and have a 1060. I know it can’t be my cp since I stream BFV , Pubg, Black Ops 4 just fine and smooth 900p 60 FPS so I’m going someone could help ! I need to put out a quality content !

Its a very easy fix but its also just unfortunate for some gaming gear. I can pretty muc guarantee this will fix your issue and yes its an apex problem not obs. Change your monitors to 60hz if you have 144 and then also ingame change your vsync to TRIPLE buffering. Problem solved.

Playyd

So I'm having a similar problem keeping my frames capped in Apex Legends while streaming with OBS studio. I can't keep my frames capped no matter what I do. I've capped the frames through steam properties and in config files and still when I fire up Apex I lose like 90fps while streaming. My game will stay capped when I'm not running OBS but as soon as I open OBS up not even streaming it will lose 90fps.
I've turned off all third party overlays, game dvr, and game mode. I have all my nvidia settings optimized for Apex and still can't figure why I'm losing so many frames with OBS open. Here's my most current stream log file.
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x 8 core 16 thread 4.4 GHz Clock 32 MB Cache
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M
GPU: GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12G OC
AMD RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) 3200mhz T Force
Power Supply: 550W Gamidas 80+ Bronze
AMD CPU Cooler: Gamdias AIO RGB 120mm