Aggghhhh!!! iPhone no longer showing as a source!! :-(

markbowendesign

Hi there,

I'm running OBS Studio 29.1.3 and have an iPhone 12 Pro Max.
I used to be able to plug the phone into the computer via the lightning to USB lead and then use the Video Capture Device source to add the phone to OBS.
I'm no longer able to see my phone in that list :-(

I've recently updated the phone to iOS 17 and with doing that the computer said that I needed to update some software on it in order to use the camera so I dutifully had to do that.

I'm guessing that one or both of those has now stopped the iPhone from showing up in that list and wondering if there is any fix for this?

I used to use a great little app on the phone which allows me to choose which lens of the camera to use and then hide all onscreen controls so that I can get a clean video output from the phone but now can't get it working at all due to the phone not showing in that list.

I did notice that after the update of the phone to iOS 17 the first time I tried to get it working with OBS it was turning on the continuity camera on the iPhone and taking over the entire screen. I've now turned continuity camera off in the iPhone settings app but still not getting the phone showing in the list again.

I'm hoping I'm not the only person this is happening to and perhaps there is a fix in the works to get it back up and running the way it used to?
I can't really afford to shell out £70 for the OBS Studio Camera app on the iPhone when something like that really should just work out of the box really.

Does anyone have any information on this at all please?

Many thanks,

Mark

markbowendesign

Well that's just odd!!!

The computer said I needed to update the system again in order for the iPhone to work with the computer. The exact same download it already did and installed. Did again and now it's back in the list and working again!!
Really hoping it's there to stay as really don't want it disappearing on me whenever it feels like it!

Mark

What did you do to get it to work? I use my iPhone camera as well through OBS on my iMac, and it has it listed but it doesn’t show anything on the screen like it used to. There used to be a little chime when the continuity camera would connect and it worked. I’ve restarted both the computer and my phone and nothing seems to work.

markbowendesign

I've actually no idea what happened, sorry. It made me perform an update to something in the system though I've no idea what, it just said I needed to update in order to use the camera and it downloaded something which didn't take very long at all but it didn't show me what it was downloading and just installed it without needing a restart.
It still didn't work and asked me to update a second time and after that install it all started working again.
Really no idea what was wrong with it as to it going off and then back on again as I changed nothing in my setup and the only thing that changed was the update to iOS 17 and Mac OSX Sonoma and then that same small update twice.
I'm glad it came back on again but I'm afraid I don't know what to say in order to get yours back on again :-(
I really hope you get it back up and running again soon.

Best wishes,

Mark

Dynamo Foe

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I'm brand new - just started using it today. Anyone know if iphone can be hooked up to bluetooth, or must be hooked up to my MacBook (Air) apple M1 Big Sur 11.6.8 (just downloaded OBS 29.1.3) and

LineaXena

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I'm brand new - just started using it today. Anyone know if iphone can be hooked up to bluetooth, or must be hooked up to my MacBook (Air) apple M1 Big Sur 11.6.8 (just downloaded OBS 29.1.3) and
Wired Connection (No Bluetooth Needed): This is the most reliable method. You can connect your iPhone to your MacBook using the Lightning cable and use the "iPhone Webcam" feature within OBS. This lets your MacBook recognize your iPhone's camera as a source, allowing you to capture footage directly in OBS.