Question / Help Adjusting Windows master volume effecting OBS Desktop Volume.

AppyPie

I've been using OBS for years, but for whatever reason suddenly when adjusting my Windows master volume it automatically adjusts the Desktop Audio in OBS to the same level as my master in real time which totally defeats the purpose of the volume slider for Desktop Audio. Normally I'd just adjust the specific game volume for the stream, and adjust my master volume to however loud I want to hear it on my end, obviously, but that's not happening. I'm wondering if it's because I'm using a new optical audio device instead of my normal computer speakers. Regardless, this is insanely annoying and I need a fix asap.

Narcogen

AFAIK the volume of OBS desktop audio captures in Windows have always been downstream of Windows' own master volume slider, but in any case, here are some workarounds:

1) Set your default Windows audio device to be a device you don't use;
2) Set the OBS monitoring device to be the device you listen to
3) Use OBS volume controls

This has a downside of not being able to control stream and listening volume separately, though.

For that, I'd suggest Voicemeeter. Set that as your default output, set its virtual device as the OBS monitor, and now you can either use Voicemeeter for monitoring and control listening volume separately for all sources you monitor, or you can use OBS for monitoring and use Voicemeeter to control your listening volume separately from stream volume (but for all sources).

D

Deleted member 121471

Speaking only based on my experience helping others, this change of behaviour is usually the result of some driver or software update turning off windows "Loudness Equalization" or 3rd party software taking over and having that effect disabled by default.

"Loudness Equalization" can give the illusion of volume slider not having any or as much of an effect on OBS until you lower your volume significantly.