A lot of skipped frames when recording in 2K resolution

SpiBaz

I've been getting choppy recordings, exclusively when recording in a 2K resolution format, I messed around with the settings a bit and I also get choppy footage when recording in a high framerate (anything above 165 frames per second). 1080p resolution works fine, but I am looking to record at 2K, any help is appreciated.

[ Log File: https://obsproject.com/logs/_RCsNlT-Os8hu0NC ]

were491

1. Try disabling Aero in Windows as well as running OBS in administrator, which may help.

2. Try using the NVENC encoder on your GPU, which does not affect performance at all (dedicated hardware for encoding). In this case, you should use CQP in place of CRF, with a value of 18 as before. It is about as efficient as x264 veryfast.

But getting to the main issue: Why do you need to record at 120fps? There is almost no reason to do so, since almost everyone viewing the video will use a 60hz monitor, and almost no site allows 120fps upload. You should probably be using 60fps, though if you have your own reason for doing so, you can try using NVENC to record at 120fps.

Last edited:

were491

(By the way, you can also set all your game sources to one source by using the "Capture any fullscreen application" or "Capture foreground window with hotkey" options. Having so many sources at once can also have an effect on the performance.)

SpiBaz

Thanks a lot for your reply, the issue seems to have been resolved after using OBS in administrator mode. As for your question, I record at 120 and later force-resample the frames with a video editing program to create ghosting, which fakes a "motion-blur".