8 Mic Inputs - > OBS

Miratie

Hi all,

I'm very new here, and I've been searching the forums/google for the answer, but nobody seems to have the exact issue.

My band and I would like to live stream to OBS using 8 microphones. We've tried several options, but nothing seems to work all the way... Problems/conditions:

- We're using a Windows PC
- We do have a DAW - ProTools
- We have an interface. - Focusrite 18i20
- We need to be able to individually balance and pan each of the 8 channels.
- Using plugins would be a major plus.

Any suggestions for how all this can be done...or articles with it working? If you need more information, please let me know. We're pretty knowledgeable about music production, but it's really our first time streaming.

Thanks in advance!

Reaby

Hi, you can use the virtual audio cable to route audio from Pro Tools tools to OBS.
here's example from obs to skype. but it works similar way from DAW to OBS, i think you can figure out the rest.
Plus with using the virtual cable you can have vst effects on tracks and master so you get a clean mix. Good luck!

Miratie

Thanks for the replies so far.

Use an audio mixer where you set 8 tracks and put stereo sound into OBS (or whatever you want).

Well, but I want to be able to use plugins from within ProTools.

Hi, you can use the virtual audio cable to route audio from Pro Tools tools to OBS.
here's example from obs to skype. but it works similar way from DAW to OBS, i think you can figure out the rest.
Plus with using the virtual cable you can have vst effects on tracks and master so you get a clean mix. Good luck!

This solution seems to be to route audio from OBS to ProTools, but we want the other way around. We need to get sound from ProTools into OBS, and ProTools does not allow the use of a virtual cable.

pkv

Developer
you can use asio link pro + obs-asio plugin to route from your daw to obs. There's some learning curve with asio link pro though (disclaimer: dev of obs-asio here).
Personally I route audio from Reaper which is my daw of choice, and use its virtual asio driver (rearoute) to route from reaper to obs; so it's simpler. But if you want to keep your daw and if it doesn't have a virtual asio driver, you're stuck to something like asio link pro.

Miratie

Thanks for the reply pkv.

you can use asio link pro + obs-asio plugin to route from your daw to obs. There's some learning curve with asio link pro though (disclaimer: dev of obs-asio here).
Personally I route audio from Reaper which is my daw of choice, and use its virtual asio driver (rearoute) to route from reaper to obs; so it's simpler. But if you want to keep your daw and if it doesn't have a virtual asio driver, you're stuck to something like asio link pro.

A few questions about this.

We've actually tried ASIO4all, but when it was all set up, ProTools no longer received a signal from our interface. Specifically, our interface is a Focusrite 18i20, and I read somewhere that it has its own built in Asio Driver. Does this "built in asio driver" work in conjunction with Asio Link but not ASIO4all all? Are they for different purposes and therefore, we should try Link instead?

Second is that I don't think ProTools has a virtual Asio driver... Would it make a difference if the ASIO driver was from the Interface instead of the DAW?

Finally, using Asio Link Pro, will it take the audio from the Master bus in ProTools, or would it take audio from the eight individual tracks in ProTools? Sorry, I realize that's probably a silly question, but I moticed the Asio Link Pro interface resembles the layout of a patch bay. So, I wanted to be sure.

pkv

Developer
asio4all is not an asio vritual driver; it captures wdm devices and turns them into asio devices (with added latency).
Asio Link pro will grab your asio device (say focusrite 18i20); in your daw you select the asio link driver instead of focusrite.
The asio link pro gui shows a patch bay allowing routing to the DAW and from the DAW to virtual mikes.
In obs, you capture the virtual (WDM) mikes.

Kawuppke

Try VB-Audio Voicemeeter, a software mixer with MME, Direct-X, KS, WaveRT, WASAPI, and ASIO. VB-Audio also offers the virtual audio cables ...

Miratie

Thank you all for your replies!

After running through youe suggestions, we've made Asio Link Pro work with our set up!

There's a new problem, now, though. (I should make another thread, I guess.) The audio into OBS has random hiccups. It just randomly cuts in and out. It's not that terrible of a problem, since it is minimal, but if we're gonna do it right, we might as well...do it right. Lol

Any thoughts?

Waji

Thank you all for your replies!

After running through youe suggestions, we've made Asio Link Pro work with our set up!

There's a new problem, now, though. (I should make another thread, I guess.) The audio into OBS has random hiccups. It just randomly cuts in and out. It's not that terrible of a problem, since it is minimal, but if we're gonna do it right, we might as well...do it right. Lol

Any thoughts?
Are you using multiple scenes and does audio hiccup when changing scenes, or does it randomly happen without touching anything?