Question / Help 4k Elgato PCIE Capture Card with Ryzen 7 1700 issues with both CPU encoding and GPU encoding with Nvidia GTX 1070

lorentedford

First off I want to start this thread off by stating I am running a Two pc setup My streaming PC is a Ryzen 7 1700 with Nvidia GTX 1070 and my Gaming PC is a Intel i7 8700k with Nvidia GTX 1080..

Now into the important things.. I had been trying to achieve the best either 720p or 1080p stream possible with this hardware and now getting very confused because other testing results are not matching up to what I am finding with my equipment.

So.. I decided to test OBS on my gaming pc using the New Nvenc encoder of course and do a few test streams. To me they all look very grainy especially on the ground and in high motion.. Now I will fully admit I might not exactly understand what GPU settings should be set at here the documentation is so saturated that I don't know what information is correct or not.

Here are some of the example streams of my gaming pc using the obs Nvenc encoder each of the streams has the information listed in it at what it is being streamed at.

1. Here is the first stream which was done at 1080p at 60 fps with encoder set at 9000kbps and GPU encoding.
1573070543147.png

2. Here is my second stream which was done at 1080p at 30 fps with encoder set at 9000kbps and GPU encoding.
1573070629750.png

3. Here is my third stream which was done at 720p at 60 fps with encoder set at 9000kbps and gpu encoding.

1573070693458.png

Now Let me show you one of my past streams that I have done on my main channel which is done using my streaming pc. We typically use Restream.io to stream to multiple platforms so in my case we typically stream to twitch.tv Youtube.com and Mixer.com using restream.io.. Now I get it there could be degradation of service from the restream platform that is a possibility but What i have noticed is the youtube streams turn out awful in comparison to my twitch and mixer stream.

Now in my opinion I find that I keep going back to 720p 60 fps for streaming because otherwise it looks terrible is this the same issue everyone else experiences? I would like to be able to do 1080p 60 fps with my system but at the moment every time I try it the stream looks awful..

Now as far as network capabilities we have Business class fiber 100 Mbps Down and 30 Mbps upload. Yes we get what we pay for and it does cost 350 a month to have this type of service. Remember its Business class not residential service.
1573070021144.png

So as shown above Internet isn't exactly an issue for us.
Here is the Data information i have on this past stream.
1573070369189.png

1573070407552.png

Here is the video footage from the streams that were performed using the capture card on the Ryzen 7 1700..
Now this was streamed at 720p 60 fps using CPU encoding with Faster Preset set at 8000 kbps
Twitch

Now here is another example stream using the Ryzen 7 1700
720p 30 fps I believe this was streamed at 8000 kbps but i could be wrong.

Anyway I am so lost as to what looks better. I have been having a challenging time figuring out these settings for years. Sure Youtubers like Epos Vox and few others have posted amazing conent but for me it hasn't worked for my specific hardware situation.. Now I am playing a guessing game to a degree. So here is the delima Do i stream 1080p 30fps just call it good enough on the capture card with cpu encoding? Why don't i see the benifits when capture card using GPU encoding? When I try to use gpu encoding on the streaming pc it looks awful is there some specific settings I am missing? It's almost like the old encoder is being used when I try it from the streaming pc verses the gaming pc.. Sorry I don't have a video reference yet but still can't get it to work correctly with GPU encoding..

So is there some thing I am missing?? Does anyone else have this issue with the capture cards?

It would be helpful if some of you posted your streaming settings that your using with your Ryzen 7 1700 with a capture card. Maybe I might be over thinking the bit rate as well.. Just not totally sure.

When you look at streaming services like Netflix there video's look great but i think that's streamed at like 25 fps.. Should I lower the FPS to get a a slower encoding on cpu? I guess I am just confused at this point.

What causes the grainy look in higher action games?

Last edited: