1080p60 recordings look terrible at corresponding bit rate levels.

UltraCosmic

I have always recorded at 50000 kb/s which got me nice quality, but the big downside is that the file size was huge. For a 10 minute video, the file size is 3.3 GB. When I upload to YouTube it takes around 40-50 minutes (I have a good connection with Ethernet) and the final product is a 1080p60 YouTube video that looks grainy and pixelated. I've been told this is all because my bit rate is too high for YouTube. So now I tried recording at 15000 kb/s bit rate for YouTube at 1080p60 in attempts to have a smaller file size while still meeting the so called "sweet spot" for 1080p60 videos. Everybody says this is the perfect bit rate for that standard, and is also what YouTube recommends. I tried it and now it looks terrible and grainy by default even before I upload... Like I said: when I use 50000 kb/s it looks good but the file size is too big so it takes a lot to upload and it makes the video looks very bad once uploaded because it's too much; having a video take so long to upload just for the final product to look bad is a waste of efforts. I have tried this on both NVIDIA Share/Shadowplay and OBS and the same result happens. What am I doing wrong, and how can I solve this? Thank you for your attention.

Current Log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/gKJpoSS0Nk5cNZ1n

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
You should not be using bitrate for recording, use tools / auto config to get proper recording settings. Youtube videos will always look worse than your source material since they re-encode everything.

UltraCosmic

You should not be using bitrate for recording, use tools / auto config to get proper recording settings. Youtube videos will always look worse than your source material since they re-encode everything.

So doing things like sticking to simple output mode? Or what exactly do you suggest by "tools / auto config"?

UltraCosmic

Simple output mode with a quality preset is usually enough for recordings.
Alright, so I did what you suggested, the quality looks much more decent than what resulted before at lower bit rates. Now I am going to experiment a little bit with how it behaves with YouTube and file size reduction.