xObsBrowserAutoRefresh - Timed automatic browser source refreshing

xObsBrowserAutoRefresh - Timed automatic browser source refreshing v1.1

YorVeX

YorVeX submitted a new resource:

xObsBrowserAutoRefresh - Timed automatic browser source refreshing - Automatically refresh any browser source in a configurable interval simply by adding a filter to it.

xObsBrowserAutoRefresh​

OBS plugin providing a filter for automatically refreshing a browser source in a configurable interval.
View attachment 91613

Prerequisites​

• OBS 29+ 64 bit
  • Currently only working on Windows (tested only on Windows 10, but Windows 11 should also work)

Usage​

After installation open the filter settings for a browser...

Read more about this resource...

YorVeX

Ah, yeah, you got me there, I've been lazy and still haven't put installation instructions anywhere. Keeping the spirit of laziness, may I direct you to the instructions that are provided for the Advanced Scene Switcher plugin? Under "Installing the plugin" there are those nice spoiler buttons for each operating system (you didn't say which you were using, just pick the one that applies).

Plugin installation is very similar for each plugin so these instructions should work fine too for my plugins, in fact, I will probably just blatantly steal them from there 8-)

Robester63

I have installed the Redistributable runtime libraries... Downloaded version v0.3 and copied the following files in to the following folders:
xOBSBrowserAutoRefresh.dll and .pdb
copied into c:\Program Files\obs-studio\obs-plugins\64bit\
and copied en-US.ini into c:\Program Files\obs-studio\obs-plugins\64bit\\Locales\
Restarted the laptop and yet I still see nothing available in OBS?
I am running version29.1.1
What am I missing please?

Robester63

removed the ini file from the Locales folder and copied the entire xOBSBrowserAutoRefresh folder to the Plugins folder.
Restarted OBS and I am not seeing anything in OBS to indicated I have added this plugin.
Where do I find anything to do with this plugin?
Thanks for any help or pointers that you can offer.

YorVeX

You only need to restart OBS and not your whole PC for it to load the new plugin after putting the files into place. If the program files locations you have used don't work, also try the user folders as explained in the first section of the installation instructions.

You've gone quite into detail about what you did for installation, but not about what you tried to use the plugin and where you're stuck, so I will just line out a full scenario that you can follow and hopefully this either helps you to get started or explain a bit better at which point you think something is not working or missing. Let's go:

In the OBS main view in the Sources list click the + button and select Browser to add a browser source:
1684629079941.png

Then click OK to add a new source:
1684629118937.png

If you want something for testing that actually changes on every refresh use YouTube as a testing website, then press OK:
1684629473414.png

The new Browser source you just added should now show the YouTube start page with some video suggestions, make sure it's selected from the Sources list and click the Filters button:
1684629812552.png

In the Effect Filters area of the Filters dialog that just opened click the + button and select Browser Auto-refresh.
1684629914256.png

Click OK:
1684630018031.png

Change the refresh interval to 10 seconds and click Close.
1684630122908.png

Now here's a thing that I think is a bug and I only just noticed now when creating this documentation. Apparently the refreshing doesn't start immediately, to make it refresh you need to hide the Browser source for a second by clicking the eye icon next to it and then click it again to show the source again:
1684630508725.png

Now you should see that the browser source shows different suggestions from YouTube every 10 seconds, because the website is refreshed every 10 seconds by the plugin.

Robester63

Hello YorVeX, thank you for your detailed instructions and FAST reply!
I have everything working now.
I didn't know where to find the Auto-Refresh setting and you have pointed that out easily for me.
I followed your suggestion to use YouTube as a sample setup and it worked perfectly.
I then setup the refresh on my information that comes from an Excel Spreadsheet and have noticed that the data on screen gradually moved up as each refresh was actioned.
Have you noticed anything like this before? when applying a manual refresh, nothing like this happened.
Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Brian.

YorVeX

Hello YorVeX, thank you for your detailed instructions and FAST reply!
I have everything working now.
I didn't know where to find the Auto-Refresh setting and you have pointed that out easily for me.
I followed your suggestion to use YouTube as a sample setup and it worked perfectly.
I then setup the refresh on my information that comes from an Excel Spreadsheet and have noticed that the data on screen gradually moved up as each refresh was actioned.
Have you noticed anything like this before? when applying a manual refresh, nothing like this happened.
Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Brian.
Haven't noticed something like this so far. Also I am surprised that automatic refresh would behave differently than a manual refresh, since all the plugin does is basically simulate a press on that button in the browser sources properties:
1684678943063.png

Is that what you mean by "applying a manual refresh" or are you comparing to doing a manual refresh in a separate browser? Note that the browser source isn't guaranteed to behave 1:1 like a real browser.

Either way I am afraid that there is not much I can do here, as I said, this is a very simple plugin that does nothing more than simulating this button click every X seconds, I have no control over the rest.

Maybe you could try to use Google Spreadsheets as an alternative and see whether the problem doesn't exist there?

Robester63

Thanks for your reply, will take another look at it tomorrow, maybe delete the existing browser entries and try again.
Weird behavior for sure, I thought the same as you, with the plugin just pretending to press the button.

Wolfbane

Suggestion, change the file type you upload to be a type that does not require any additional program to unpack files.
use .zip instead of .7z

YorVeX

Suggestion, change the file type you upload to be a type that does not require any additional program to unpack files.
use .zip instead of .7z
Zip just really looks like a waste to me and 7z is quick and easy to install, free and open source.
1684966895959.png

Also then I would have to switch to not upload it here at all and instead link to GitHub for that, because the limit here for a single file is 5 MB:
1684967743726.png

I eventually plan to also provide an installer, I think then we will have that for the group of users that want (and maybe also need) something very simple and the standalone version will stay for advanced users which are more likely to have something installed that enables to extract this anyway.

At least for Windows 11 users that problem will also vanish soon.

dpcollects

No luck with this today. Is the version out of date or am I do it wrong? I extracted the .7 files and got the data and obs-plugins folders and placed them in like this:
failingme.JPG

Let me know if I am doing anything wrong or missing any steps? Thanks!

YorVeX

No luck with this today. Is the version out of date or am I do it wrong? I extracted the .7 files and got the data and obs-plugins folders and placed them in like this:
View attachment 96043
Let me know if I am doing anything wrong or missing any steps? Thanks!
The plugin works fine with the latest version of OBS, you might only run into issues if you use this with an outdated OBS version. How did you conclude that it's not working, you tried to click the "+" button on the Effect Filters of a Browser source, and it's not on the list?
1689897054084.png

If from your screenshot location you go into obs-plugins\64bit you see the xObsBrowserAutoRefresh.dll file there, right?

As an alternative I'd suggest to try the second install location that is suggested in the install instructions and see whether that works, I remember at least one other user who said the AppData folder didn't work for them and then using the Program Files folder it was fine:

If you need to install the plugin for all users on the system you can also extract the downloaded .7z file (= copy the contained obs-plugins and data folders) into the OBS Studio installation directory. The default location for this is
C:\Program Files\obs-studio
This needs admin permissions.

dpcollects

As an alternative I'd suggest to try the second install location that is suggested in the install instructions and see whether that works, I remember at least one other user who said the AppData folder didn't work for them and then using the Program Files folder it was fine:
This worked like a charm! THANK YOU!