Question / Help x264 Encoding Profile

Boildown

Krazy said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Profiles
Scroll down a bit to the "Feature support in particular profiles" table. It shows what techniques are allowed in each profile. This would pertain to things like trying to set custom encoder parameters (though most of the ones you would edit to improve quality for the typical usage scenarios in OBS aren't really affected by this all that much)

The only differences seem to be these four things which High supports and Main does not:

4:0:0 (Monochrome) - Irrelevant for us

and

8×8 vs. 4×4 transform adaptivity, Quantization scaling matrices, and Separate Cb and Cr QP control. Which I'm not sure which x264 features they correspond to and if they're even active in the presets that are commonly or uncommonly used by OBS users.

CONVERGE

my profile in MI is
Format profile : Main@L4.1
while obs settings is
3TQOfat.jpg

is "profile:v high" correct string for custom encoder settings?
My target to decrease youtube proceeding times by making my video same settings as youtube proceeding converts it to. ( https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en ).Maybe it will just 'copy' it and it will be instant? Not sure about several settings like this tho
  • No Edit Lists (or the video might not get processed correctly)
  • moov atom at the front of the file (Fast Start)
  • Closed GOP. GOP of half the frame rate.

edit

adding 'profile:v high' or 'profile=v high' makes MI like this

Format profile : Main@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Muxing mode : Container profile=High@3.1

Looks like its wrong command?

edit2

profile=high level=5.1 MI becomes like this

Format profile : Main@L5.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=60
Muxing mode : Container profile=High@3.1

What is this muxing mode?

Last edited:

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
You won't be able to improve youtube processing times, everything gets re-encoded anyway.

CONVERGE

I experimented with this, 1,5 gb mp4 file from obs gets proceeded for about 30 minutes, while same file repacked to ts using mmg and tsmuxer proceeds for 7 minutes.

Also the idea about quick proceeding came from youtube gaming, where vods from stream sometimes appear instantly with all available quality options. Somehow they are proceeding insanely fast while other one proceeding as usual.