Question / Help Would the Timeleak HD72A work with OBS?

cjrobe

Just discovered this software today. Amazing! I'm looking at buying an HDMI capture unit and the Timeleak HD72A caught my eye (mainly for its price). Here's the official product page.

http://www.timeleak.com.cn/en/article/v ... 2&ps_aid=9

Am I correct in assuming that because it uses MPEG2 compression, it would be compatible with OBS? I don't care about audio as I'm going to be recording sound through a mixer board.

Thanks for your time.

paibox

heros in an halfshel
The "MPEG-2 compression" is most likely for recording with whatever application it is that comes with the card. Compressed video output of any kind from a capture card is not supported in OBS, but I have no idea why the output from a PCI Express card would be encoded in the first place, so it most likely isn't.

While I can't tell you for sure if it works or not, all PCI Express cards that have been tested so far have worked with OBS.

cjrobe

paibox said:
The "MPEG-2 compression" is most likely for recording with whatever application it is that comes with the card. Compressed video output of any kind from a capture card is not supported in OBS, but I have no idea why the output from a PCI Express card would be encoded in the first place, so it most likely isn't.

While I can't tell you for sure if it works or not, all PCI Express cards that have been tested so far have worked with OBS.
Ok, thanks for the info. I might just give it a try, the quality appears decent from some Youtube captures and it's only $55 shipped.

Just ordered, will update later with a review.

tidu

Yes.

Incase somebody else comes around looking for this information I can confirm that the HD72A card works nicely with OBS. The capture even has a very minimal delay and it is completely possible to play just from the preview window.

Of course the card only works in max 24fps on 1080p (or 1080i60), but for streaming at 720p this is a great budget option (I paid $50 shipped). You can find these cards on ebay, usually without the timeleak name attached.

Here's a little 720p sample http://www.twitch.tv/tiduu/b/497041483

Elfnet

Those cheap cards are a waste of money. I bought one and it was defective in the video passing area. parts were missing from the PCB and some traces were damaged.

Boildown

The main problem is that your game platform would have to be outputting video at 720p in order to have this work at 60fps. If you're on a console where that's not a problem, then it looks good (assuming you don't get a defective one). But if you're on a PC, then I cringe at the thought of playing modern games at 720p just so you can use a capture card. In the latter case you'd be better off spending a little more and getting an Avermedia PCIe card that can take a 1080p60 input and downscale it to 720p for streaming.

Hadn't heard of Timeleak before and they have some nicely specced "professional" capture cards that can do 1080p60 input, but on Ebay they're just as expensive as Datapath cards. I'd rather have a Datapath card than a Chinese knockoff at the same price.