Wireless HDMI extender not working

Cleteu06

Hey everyone, I just recently bought a wireless extender to use at our church for a secondary camera shot during our Christmas play. The extender does not appear in the video capture device settings but it does when hard wired in. Is there some kind of plug-in I need to download for it to work? Please help, I really need this by tomorrow!!

AaronD

You've shown that the physical input works, with the hard wire. If the extender also provides a hard wire from the receiver, and that's what you're using, then no amount of software can help. You're getting a bad signal from the receiver.

Wireless is inherently unreliable. There are ways to help that, but never eliminate it. If you're less than 25 feet, just run an HDMI cord. If you're more than 25 feet, convert it to SDI, run a coax, and convert back to HDMI at the receiving end.

---

If you only just thought of the technical stuff less than 24 hours before the show......well, now you know to start earlier!

We're using a pair of plywood horns that I made over the last few weeks, with a mic in the bottom of each one, to pick up our kids better. I bought the first set of materials about a month in advance, and even with procrastinating a lot, I still finished three out of the original two that I'd planned. (I didn't like how the second one turned out)

Cleteu06

You've shown that the physical input works, with the hard wire. If the extender also provides a hard wire from the receiver, and that's what you're using, then no amount of software can help. You're getting a bad signal from the receiver.

Wireless is inherently unreliable. There are ways to help that, but never eliminate it. If you're less than 25 feet, just run an HDMI cord. If you're more than 25 feet, convert it to SDI, run a coax, and convert back to HDMI at the receiving end.

---

If you only just thought of the technical stuff less than 24 hours before the show......well, now you know to start earlier!

We're using a pair of plywood horns that I made over the last few weeks, with a mic in the bottom of each one, to pick up our kids better. I bought the first set of materials about a month in advance, and even with procrastinating a lot, I still finished three out of the original two that I'd planned. (I didn't like how the second one turned out)
Yes, the wireless extender *was* my preferred method and I think it was something to do with that; but I already have the drivers and apps installed for the Iriun Webcam feature so one of the extra youth that’s not in the play can be my cam man for the day. If this gives you any indication of how limited my budget is lol, I repurposed the “”original”” Behringer hm50 from the install of this building some 10 years ago to be our kids mic. I don’t get paid enough for this stuff, or at all lol.

AaronD

I don’t get paid...at all lol.
I don't either. :-)
I do it because I love the technical side of things, and to see stuff work.

People tend to be against that because, "it's not a show," but in fact it is! For an Audience of One. And He loves to see His children perform, at least as much as we love to see our own kids perform. So it IS a show! For an Audience of One, and everyone in the seats is just extra.
"In everything you do, do it well, because of Who you're doing it for." (heavily paraphrased)

---

It's amazing how early the tech tools need to be considered, in order to have them tested and ready for showtime. When you get to the last minute when everyone else first thinks of them, *some* things can still be ad-libbed, but with rather tight constraints according to what you already have.

And sometimes the answer has to be "no". Not because it's impossible, but because the 2-day fast shipping on the thing you need to do it is still slower than the 1 day that you have before the show.

But if you consider the tech from day 0, bring it up in every conversation along the way, and get right on things as soon as someone thinks they *might* be needed, then you can do a lot!