[Windows 11/PC] My mic picks up Desktop/Browser audio, causing echo in recordings/streams! How to fix this?

winterland

Problem: Whenever I record something in OBS, typically my streams or a browser with some game show/talk show, my audio input aka my mic picks up the desktop/audio output as well (BOTH the Audio Input + Audio Output meters/bars are moving), causing the show i am recording to echo (yes, i swap between using my headphones and my speakers, depending on whatever i am doing.)

Question: How do i get rid of the echo aka so my mic picks up my voice only and not the desktop/browser audio as well?

Here's a screenshot showing how my setup is within Audio Mixer and Advanced Audio Properties in OBS:
obsaudiosetup.png

As for OBS > Settings > Audio, I have:
- All "Global Audio Devices" = Disabled
- "Advanced" > Monitoring Device: Default (Disable Windows audio docking = Enabled, but Low Latency... = Disabled)

Windows Sound Settings:
- In Windows Sound Settings, i have "Output" set to my Speakers
- "Input" is set to my mic (Røde Procaster)
- All other (not needed) audio devices are disabled

Other things that might be worth mentioning:
- I have no filters enabled for neither output or input within OBS
- I have the latest OBS version
- I'm using a desktop PC with Windows 11
- I am using Revelator io44 audio interface, but i cannot find anything there does anything useful...

I really hope someone can kindly come with suggestions on how i can fix the echo nonsense. I've been trying so many suggestions now, but i simply cannot find a way to solve this issue!

AaronD

(yes, i swap between using my headphones and my speakers, depending on whatever i am doing.)
Is the mic picking up the speakers through the air? Should be easy to test, if the speakers can be disabled without the computer knowing any different.

- I am using Revelator io44 audio interface...
Another possibility is that the interface has its own loopback. Optionally sends its output back to the input, as the computer sees it, and you somehow have that option on. I have no idea why a physical interface would have that option, since every computer operating system itself already has it, but a lot of them do.