Question / Help Windows 10 | Window capture doesn't show menu popups

raj

Hi guys
I prepare loads of video training materials for internal teams and recently migrated to Windows 10. Today I needed to prepare a video for a particular software "Oracle VM Virtualbox"
While trying to capture the VirtualBox Window, OBS is capturing the selected window, however, none of the menu windows are seen in the capture.
Then I tried the same with different software like Outlook & few other and all of them have the same problem. Ribbon menus are shown, however menu elements those are displayed within it's own windows are not displayed in the preview of capture.
This is a known bug or I am missing something for Windows 10?

regards,

dping

Hi guys
I prepare loads of video training materials for internal teams and recently migrated to Windows 10. Today I needed to prepare a video for a particular software "Oracle VM Virtualbox"
While trying to capture the VirtualBox Window, OBS is capturing the selected window, however, none of the menu windows are seen in the capture.
Then I tried the same with different software like Outlook & few other and all of them have the same problem. Ribbon menus are shown, however menu elements those are displayed within it's own windows are not displayed in the preview of capture.
This is a known bug or I am missing something for Windows 10?

regards,
have you removed the window capture and tried game capture instead? also, where is your logfile showing the issue? it can be uploaded from the help menu

raj

@dping
I'll try the game capture today and update you. Once I noticed the issue with Windows 10, I tried the Window capture in Windows 7 & the menu popup windows were clearly seen in the preview windows. I will get back to you the earliest,

regards,

raj

The game capture doesn't work either. Just a blank box being captured, and the analyze log doesn't show any errors.

dping

The game capture doesn't work either. Just a blank box being captured, and the analyze log doesn't show any errors.
you telling me the analyze log says nothing, doesnt help. if you could send me the link to one of your logfiles. as in, instead of pasting the link to your browser for you to view, send me the link so I can view.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
From the screenshot it looks like you're trying to use window capture to capture a window, but additionally expecting the menus of the target window to also be captured. You can't do that with window capture or game capture, popup windows are considered separate sub-windows and aren't included in the capture for game/window capture. The only way to capture popup menus of a target window is to use display/monitor capture. This same rule applies for all operating systems when it comes to pop-up menus. I suspect dping didn't realize this.

This isn't really an issue or anything, this is just the way that window/game capture works.

raj

Hello Jim
Thank you very much for the clarification. Until date I was doing monitor captures mostly, and as my desktop is truly crowded wanted ONLY to record the action window (in my case VirtualBox app window). I have tested the monitor capturing and, yes the dropdown menus are displayed properly.
Thanks once again for coming ahead and clearing the confusion. Appreciate.

regards,
raj

dping

From the screenshot it looks like you're trying to use window capture to capture a window, but additionally expecting the menus of the target window to also be captured. You can't do that with window capture or game capture, popup windows are considered separate sub-windows and aren't included in the capture for game/window capture. The only way to capture popup menus of a target window is to use display/monitor capture. This same rule applies for all operating systems when it comes to pop-up menus. I suspect dping didn't realize this.

This isn't really an issue or anything, this is just the way that window/game capture works.
Hah, so there are certain linked that dont show up for me, his img was one of them. I tend to ignore that I cant see it and move on with troublshooting, but good catch @Jim.
There are a few apps that work with game capture that will capture the whole window, such as photoshop, so I was hoping that would solve his issue