Question / Help Window Capture (Application not showing up in selection bar)

Snowywolfies

Hii! So well, I'm trying to live-stream something but when I go to window capture, the selection for the program I'm using doesn't show up. Every other program I have open is on the menu except for that one ;;

Does anyone have any solutions or ideas? ;o;

Thank you in advance!

amsyar ZeRo

@Snowywolfies Welcome! It might be the case of the window name. Try finding the name of the window you want to capture(it's in the bar right next to the close, minimise & maximise buttons).

sintenic

Just wanted to say that I had a similar problem to the original poster. Finally figured out that OBS Studio appears not to list application windows which are minimized. Leaving the window of the application I was interested in un-minimized before switching to OBS Studio made it appear within the list of windows within the "Window Capture" source.

Hope this helps someone!

smrturzo

Just wanted to say that I had a similar problem to the original poster. Finally figured out that OBS Studio appears not to list application windows which are minimized. Leaving the window of the application I was interested in un-minimized before switching to OBS Studio made it appear within the list of windows within the "Window Capture" source.

Hope this helps someone!
somebody give this guy a medal

zamboni

Closely related: OBS also will not show any Chrome windows if you have "snapped" all Chrome windows to maximum-size by dragging them against the top edge. They also won't be available as a Game Capture source, either. If you have multiple Chrome windows maximized, none of them will appear unless you un-maximize at least one of them. Then they all become available. Props to sintenic for indirectly helping me realize this.

Last edited:

a_n00b

Hope this helps someone!
This guy for sure deserves a medal.

gsutter

This is close to a problem I'm having. Running 25.0.7 and none of my browser windows show up as options in Windows Capture, just as [Safari] (null). Ditto for Chrome. What as I doing wrong? New user here, so sorry if this is a naive question.

EP23

I am having same problem as above, out of nowhere. The window(s) I want are not minimized. It's a google slide, can't see google or if I download and open in Mac's Keynote. ARGH! worked just last week.

formerchild

actually i seem to be running into the same problem— noticing that none of the current windows that i have opened are showing up. i have not used window capture prior to this so i cannot speak to whether this issue is new.

Hiren Patel

I am facing an issue where the maximized PowerPoint slide is not getting displayed during the set up the properties of "Window Capture".
I am attaching a screenshot where in the background of the ppt is in fullscreen (slide show) mode and on the front side, the OBS screen is there.
OBS-Query.png

MrPhil

My solution to this is as stated above here, but also applies if you have maximized to full-screen your OBS window. OBS couldn't see windows other than my dock, or the same obs windows, when adding a window source. So do not maximize your OBS window, and the other window sources will show up. At least they did for me ;)

Geracola

My solution to this is as stated above here, but also applies if you have maximized to full-screen your OBS window. OBS couldn't see windows other than my dock, or the same obs windows, when adding a window source. So do not maximize your OBS window, and the other window sources will show up. At least they did for me ;)
Smart Solution, it works fine!