Question / Help Mac and window capture

Aslak Ballari

Hello
I have a problem using window capture with my Mac. For some reason OBS only find windows in OBS and the desktop. I try to open programs like Keynotes, Skype and several browsers as Chrome and Safari, but OBS are not able to find these windows in window capture.
I use the last update of OBS, but my computer is three years old.
Do anyone know what the problem is?

Dave Mason

I have a similar problem since upgrading to version 20.0.1 (previously was version 13 I think). I have a profile that I created before that has the window already captured, and it works and shows a lock icon, but if I try to open another Safari window capture, Safari windows don't show up. Show windows with empty names shows menubar windows, but still no Safari.

Hitfilm 4 Express windows show up, as do Terminal and Slack, but none of Pages, Discord, Preview, Keynote, Spark, Safari, Firefox, or Chrome do.

Hello Dave (2001 reference) and Aslak,

I had this same problem with the version 20.0.1. However, when I installed the software it worked fine. But when I changed some settings (I wish I knew which), the program could not show all open windows when trying to add a window capture to a scene. I'm using macOS Sierra 10.12.6.

I managed to solve the problem by resetting the program to default settings. Here's how you can try it:

1. Quit OBS
2. Open Finder
3. Press Shift + Command + G
4. Paste the path: ~/Library/Application Support/obs-studio
5. Delete everything you can find there

Note that trying this will destroy all your scenes.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi there, I was experiencing the problems above - not able to find zoom or skype to import in OBS - i'm using the latest version 21.1.1. on a Mac Book Pro, I've deleted everything from the Library and reinstalled and still can't input zoom. Any more ideas?

Ilario

Hi there, I was experiencing the problems above - not able to find zoom or skype to import in OBS - i'm using the latest version 21.1.1. on a Mac Book Pro, I've deleted everything from the Library and reinstalled and still can't input zoom. Any more ideas?

Hello,
I had the same problem. All I did was to switch OBS from full screen to window with the green button up right. Don't know why, but worked

runtiderun

I'm still having this issue. Neither OBS nor any of the windows i'm trying to share are full-screen, yet OBS doesn't see any of them. Any other ideas?

icanswiim70

Hey everyone, I am having the same issue as well. It seems to have occurred after latest update. I have noticed internet browser capture is now unavaiilable as well as other applications (for me Quicktime was a big one I use for streaming)

With browser open in background, here are my current options for window capture on mac, you will notice browser is no where to be found. Anyone had any luck fixing this issue on mac?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 11.16.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 11.16.13 AM.png
    647.7 KB · Views: 1,631

Narcogen

Browser is a separate source, it's not listed under Window capture. There's no window called "browser".

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 12.10.34 PM.png

icanswiim70

I think we're talking about 2 different things, apologies for any confusion. I primarily stream mobile games. I would use quicktime to capture the screen with the audio, which was usually under video capture. With quicktime open it is no longer an option within video capture.

The browser capture i was using for youtube videos to demonstrate different things; I was recording the internet browser, not trying to put a picture of a url on the screen. In other words i want to be able to show me navigating the internet browser. I hope that was mre clear.

Please note i am a mac user not a pc user.

pblivingston

I had the same issue as @kentster and the + and - icons don't show up at the bottom of the "Screen Recording" list in the Privacy settings.

I was able to resolve this issue using the following steps.

1. Create a scene in OBS
2. Add a source to the scene
3. Select Window Capture
4. Create New > OK
5. Tick the box labeled "Show Windows with empty names"
6. Select a source ("Window") labeled [Null].
7. When prompted, go to System Preferences and allow OBS to record your screen.

After following these steps, the [Null] windows are now properly labeled and everything shows up even when the "Show Windows with empty names" box is not ticked.

Hope this helps anyone encountering this issue.

Ben Diamond

I had the same issue as @kentster and the + and - icons don't show up at the bottom of the "Screen Recording" list in the Privacy settings.

I was able to resolve this issue using the following steps.

1. Create a scene in OBS
2. Add a source to the scene
3. Select Window Capture
4. Create New > OK
5. Tick the box labeled "Show Windows with empty names"
6. Select a source ("Window") labeled [Null].
7. When prompted, go to System Preferences and allow OBS to record your screen.

After following these steps, the [Null] windows are now properly labeled and everything shows up even when the "Show Windows with empty names" box is not ticked.

Hope this helps anyone encountering this issue.
Hi, I am having the same problems with Catalina. I followed your suggestion above but at step 7 I do not get a prompt to go to system preferences. If I open preferences manually then I don't see OBS in the list of applications to enable access to record the screen and there's no + button to add it myself. Any more ideas please?

Update -
AARGGHH - schoolboy error. I thought I would try rebooting my Mac, and surprise surprise it's working now!

Last edited:

Garry Owen

Using "Window Capture", I also was missing my Safari Window. In this instance, it was not on the same desktop as OBS was running.
When I put the Safari window on the same screen as OBS, it appeared. I could select it, then move the Safari window to another desktop.

Juanda

[QUOTE = "Ilario, publicación: 395595, miembro: 183088"]
Hola,
Yo tuve el mismo problema. Todo lo que hice fue cambiar OBS de pantalla completa a ventana con el botón verde arriba a la derecha. No sé por qué, pero funcionó
[/ CITAR]

Esta es la solución. Gracias !!! Solo hay que trabajar con la ventana de OBS sin maximizar.