Will this software ever have an overlay? PLEASE

DeMoN

Every single recording capture program can draw an overlay over your exclusive fullscreen game (even early fraps had a fps display)
But OBS just cant..
Imagine having the chat overlayed in your game, or your current song. All would be possible if the program would finally support a damn overlay.
I also would like to see if I'm recording or not, and if the hook into the game was succesful. All would be possible with an overlay..

Its really awful that this software has no overlay at all. And I feel like you even have it at low priority to implement one?

And is the default color matrix finally changed to bt.709 or still on bt.601, which is meant for SD Videos? (this is already super annoying about shadowplay too)

Jimmu_Nootron

I've been searching the forums on this, and Im very confused why OBS Studio does not have this. Streamlabs OBS has it, and they've basically stolen everything from OBS anyway. What gives?

DeMoN

For real? If nothing new came up, Streamlabs only had an on top layer which required to play the game in windowed mode. That wouldnt be an exclusive fullscreen overlay, which would be overlayed directly on the game frames.

Jimmu_Nootron

For real? If nothing new came up, Streamlabs only had an on top layer which required to play the game in windowed mode. That wouldnt be an exclusive fullscreen overlay, which would be overlayed directly on the game frames.
I used to use SLOBS but Im trying very hard to move away from that and go with Studio. The in-game chat overlay that SLOBS had worked extremely well AND on full screen games. I even use 3 monitors, however, having the chat over your game is extremely helpful when you have to focus your attention on your game. Glancing over slightly in game vs having to look at a completely different monitor to see chat is a BIG difference imo.

DeMoN

Soooo it is an overlay like Fraps, Afterburner and co which draws the overlay directly on the game? No top layer tricks or sth like that? That would be really amazing actually.
And like said: Ensure that in advanced the color matrix is set to bt.709. In OBS it is default bt.601 which is meant for SD Videos and NO ONE uses the worse color matrix, also youtube not. I absolutely will never understand why OBS has bt.601 as default setting (and probably still has ....)
Maybe then its time to move on now, but I dont know if the plugins for OBS still work like StreamFX, and how easily I can move over all my settings and profiles and scenes

DeMoN

ahhh so it is still just no hook overlay. yeah well then we're not any further.
I cannot believe how they're not capable to do it. All the other software can do it, but OBS would benefit from it the most with the chat and it cant do it. It seems to be even super low priority...
It certainly isnt easy to programm an hook overlay. But if they can hook the game to RECORD the game. I really have to wonder why they cant draw something on the renderer ..