Bug Report Why tf does it record at 2fps???

Microprod

Hi,

I downloaded OBS and installed it and then i tried a bug that happened at my other PC. It didn't trigger. Now it says at the bottom "59fps" but when i am done recording it's like 2fps with a ton of lag spikes. I even bought a better graphics card and it happened again. While recording i don't see any fps drops but when playing the footage after i am done it is laggy. When i want to stop the recording on the bottom it says Encoding Overloaded. Now i gotta crack bandicam.
3 years ago i had an old laptop with a pentium or something CPU and with bandicam it didn't lag at all(but the quality was s***)

My Specs:
CPU: Xeon CPU 5140 Quad Core @ 2.33GHz
4GB ECC DDR2 RAM
Graphics Card: nVidia Quadro 4000 2GB

koala

Please consult the various troubleshooting guides for OBS: https://obsproject.com/wiki/Troubleshooting-Guides
This computer is not very powerful. The CPU is weak in comparison to today's CPUs, so it's probably the bottleneck. It is weaker than current Intel Atom CPUs made for the smallest Windows notebooks.
The GPU is also not very powerful - it's only about 50% more powerful than any iGPU, so it is something for office work, not really for video recording.

It seems you rescued some thrown out legacy server hardware from the trash and expect it to be very powerful. It's not. Every Euro you spend for enhancing this machine is wasted. Current machines have 5-10 times the CPU power and 10-20 times the GPU power.

Last edited:

Microprod

i had a b75m-a motherboard with a Core i5-2400 Quad Core @ 3.10 GHz but one day out of nowhere the motherboard kept putting 0 volts on the 12v rail(on the BIOS and wont even let me boot). No, it's not the PSU that caused it because i tried it with another psu and the same thing happened. Also when that mobo broke(3 months ago) i had an even worse GPU: a GeForce 9500 GT(i still have it laying around). I looked on nVidia's website and they said that "Every Quadro doesn't have hardware encoding" or something. I am a kid which means that i don't have money and no family PC/Laptop has a graphics card better than mine but the CPUs are powerful in those machines compared to mine. That's why i like to play a lot of old games. What i've discovered is that this PC can run any game before 2013 (except Minecraft). So my only choice is to play and record old games. I tried bandicam and with quite a lot of lag but playable 15 fps on CS:GO I got a watchable video(after editing). I didn't spend any money on it. i just threw a graphics card(that Quadro 4000) that i found on another old workstation and runs games better than the old GeForce 9500 GT that i had. on the first lines i like to act like i am older but nah, i never spend money on hardware(except for adapter cables that are cheap from AliExpress)

koala

Understand that live video recording software like OBS Studio isn't some light-weight addon app that runs additionally and invisible in the background. In fact, it's a software that produces heavy system load. Moving video data around and encoding it is a very CPU- and GPU-expensive operation. Along with a game on such a weak computer, it needs probably as much resources as the game itself, if not more. So if you want to record, you ask double the computing power of your machine.

Not too old Nvidia and AMD GPUs support hardware encoding and come with recording software in the drivers as well, so you might look for this instead of OBS. This recording software just records the desktop with no additional fancy feature like OBS, but that is really light-weight in comparison to OBS. It's called Shadowplay (from Nvidia for Nvidia GPUs) and ReLive (from AMD for AMD GPUs) and is part of their driver packages.

Microprod

Understand that live video recording software like OBS Studio isn't some light-weight addon app that runs additionally and invisible in the background. In fact, it's a software that produces heavy system load. Moving video data around and encoding it is a very CPU- and GPU-expensive operation. Along with a game on such a weak computer, it needs probably as much resources as the game itself, if not more. So if you want to record, you ask double the computing power of your machine.

Not too old Nvidia and AMD GPUs support hardware encoding and come with recording software in the drivers as well, so you might look for this instead of OBS. This recording software just records the desktop with no additional fancy feature like OBS, but that is really light-weight in comparison to OBS. It's called Shadowplay (from Nvidia for Nvidia GPUs) and ReLive (from AMD for AMD GPUs) and is part of their driver packages.
Shadowplay only supports GTX600 or better and for mobile GTX660M or something like that. I read that on nVidia's forums.