Question / Help Which capture cards for surround sound recording

Bensam123

Just a interesting tidbit, if anyone wants to try using Dante to get surround channels from one PC to another give it a shot. From what I can tell it can only send a stereo source, not surround. Whenever you change a device to more then 2 channels it removes it from VIA. You can definitely select a receiving device with more then 2 channels, but not sending device. Feel free to play around with it. You need VIA and the manager. You can also try the virtual sound card.

Last edited:

lostone

Dragging up this old thread to see if there are any updates. I just tried the latest OBS and found similar results with a Blackmagic recorder 3G using HDMI with a AC-3 DD 5.1 audio track. I did get 6 channels of analog audio but the channels were mapped incorrectly and I lost the center channel completely. I configured audio setting for 5.1 and the BM recorder was found as a single source that handled audio and video. Things looked good except for the channel mapping and PCM audio rather than encoded AC-3.

Has anyone found a way I to directly capture raw bit-stream digital audio? My understanding of how OBS works internally and is something I need to improve, because the configuration settings confuses me. =)