Resource icon

All Versions Which Capture Card should I get for streaming or recording? And do I need one?

Glen England

A friend told me about OBS so we are looking into moving to this from our current Livestream setup.

Our computer is pretty outdated as it is a MacPro that will not take updates past OSX 10.6.8.

We currently have a video camera with a firewire output that feeds into a M-Audio 1814 that takes left and right audio from our mixer board and feeds a combined firewire input to the MacPro.

This is the source we use to feed Livestream Producer to do our live broadcasting.

Since we need to purchase a new computer we would like to keep as much of our current equipment as we can starting out.

I believe the M-Audio 1814 will only run up to Windows 7.

If this is the case will FireWire card work with OBS for YouTube live and YouTube recording?

If not how can we feed the firewire output from the camera and the xlr inputs from the mixer into the computer so OBS can use them?

I've been trying to read through all this but I am not finding exactly what I need.

Thanks in advance.

Noalan

I am looking to get a new capture card, but I don't have any experience with them. Which one can you recommend for me? thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

DJPeterHillas

What's up everybody!? My name is Peter and i'm tryin' to get some answers...
Here's the situation:
I want to stream/record gameplay to Twitch. from my laptop (hdmi out) to my desktop (capture card??), preferably using OBS, to my monitor.
Is there a capture card or SOMETHING I could use?

**EDIT**
Quality isn't my issue, it can be low quality at first.

BFTDG

Hey, I'm Chris. I'm looking for a card that can record and/or stream old game consoles using a laptop. I'd like an external capture card, and quality isn't an issue. I have a very tight budget as well. Can anyone help?

Boildown

There used to be a real nice guide to retro console video capturing, with a breakdown of all the (then) recent capture cards, but I can't find it any more. Anyone have the link?