Question / Help Where are settings saved ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfbane

Thinking about making a backup of my settings.

And with settings Im refering to the layouts.
But hey why not, while Im asking, is there any way to also save the broadcasting settings.

So what Im asking for, is where are the saved files for configuration settings, and where saved files for the Scenes/sources.
Might be the same...

ThoNohT

Developer
Configuration folder:
%APPDATA%\OBS

global settings are in global.ini
profile settings are in profiles\*.ini

Scenes and sources are in scenes.xconfig.

But you could of course also just backup the entire folder.

vbdkv

I had everything set up to perfection, had to reinstall Windows only to find that all my OBS settings were gone.
Why not keep settings in the same folder as the app? Makes no sense to me.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Because a regular user account should not be able to modify installed programs on the system. All well-written programs keep their user data in the Windows user account AppData folder, so copy this from your old Windows profile to your new one and all your settings will be restored.

wigglez

Can anyone tell me where these files are located exactly? I tried doing a search on my PC, but I could not find them.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Hold down the windows button on your keyboard and then press R. You'll see a "run" box pop up. Then, paste in this text:

%appdata%\obs

Then press OK.

You will now be in the OBS configuration data folder.

wigglez

okay so I just got done reformatting. Copy and pasted those files in my new OBS folder, but nothing happened. How am I suppose to apply my previous settings?

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
you have to go to %appdata%, create a new OBS folder there, go in to it, and copy over all the files there again as they were

wigglez

create a new folder in the %appdata&\obs folder? I essentially backed up that old folder before I reformatted. Downloaded OBS again and then went back into the same area to copy over all of the previous files before I had reformatted. My previous settings don't seem to be there.

phixxius

this helped me a lot. and Wigglez you have to try and manly enter the address using the harddrive you have your info stored on. (im assuming all your old data is on a different harddive so go the your "user" folder in the then enter \appdata after that and it should come up then you can find OBS.

i just copy and pasted the whole folder in to the new one on my C:\ and it all came up perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.