When selecting mp4 automatically use mkv & remuxing instead.

AlixPlayzz

This might be a an unpopular opinion. But I think when someone chooses the mp4 format on obs to record in. It should in the background record mkv then automatically remux it to mp4 and delete the mkv file when finishing a successful recording. And instead of a warning it would instead be something along the lines of: "Note: For safety we are recording in mkv, then automatically changing it to mp4 after. This shouldn't be noticable. To override this (highly not recommended) see advanced options. So it looks like recording in mp4 to the average joe, with all the benefits of recording in mkv.

I am aware you can already enable this by choosing mkv and checking "automatically remux to mp4". But its buried in advanced options, something which most people dont even look at. Advanced options should be just that. Advanced options only used by power users. However I see remuxing as an essentials feature, that everyone should enable. Not something for power users. I also know that there is a warning when selecting mp4. Something which all "best obs settings videos" completely disregard and most people dont even understand. Like I didn't know what "remuxing" was until yesterday when it learnt the hard way. And I bet most even don't even understand the warning means by multiple audio tracks.

I think there should instead be a box in advanced option to overide the default "record in mkv, remux to mp4" that I'm proposing. So that people which for some reason REALLY exclusively need to record straight to mp4 can also do so, if they are experienced enough to enough the risks.

Let me know what you think. I couldn't come up with any negatives of this but if you do so I'd be happy to hear your thoughts!