Question / Help When closing OBS after a long recording, recording gets corrupted

AndrewG4

After recording for a long period of time, for example an hour, if you stop recording and attempt to close OBS, it sometimes states that the encoding is not finished and asks if you wish to wait 15 seconds, at this point, you can only say yes or lose your recording, however, in my case even if I say yes and wait for OBS to auto close, it STILL corrupts my footage, this is very irritating and has been on ongoing issue now. Please help.

zer0xll

I had that happen to me once. My recording format was mp4 and I recorded over a hour. Not sure how or why it happen.
I do know since then I have never recorded over a hour again, I wait about 5 minutes before I start recording again.

Is it only doing it to videos over a hour long or even short 20-30 minute videos?

AndrewG4

I had that happen to me once. My recording format was mp4 and I recorded over a hour. Not sure how or why it happen.
I do know since then I have never recorded over a hour again, I wait about 5 minutes before I start recording again.

Is it only doing it to videos over a hour long or even short 20-30 minute videos?
It will do it normally after any really long period of time, the longer you record the longer you need to wait before attempting to close, the problem is, we are left with no fucking clue as to how long to wait before trying to close OBS and once you try to close it, if you get the prompt asking you to wait 15 seconds, you're already screwed, this needs to be addressed badly

kyle.b/18

this same problem happens to me when i record on obs it cuts off about 90 percent of the video why and how can i fix this

Boildown

this same problem happens to me when i record on obs it cuts off about 90 percent of the video why and how can i fix this

As was already said, use flv instead of mp4, and remux (lossless) the file afterwards if you need to.

If it isn't a problem with OBS crashing and corrupting the file, open a new thread, as its probably unrelated to the OP's issue.

Greninja X

OK so i dont know if it obs or my laptop but i record a video and when i'm done like 30 minute video it go to 4 to 5 minute's and it a still frame

carlmmii

Start a new thread with your issue and include a log file of the recording session. Your issue is unrelated to this 4 year old thread.