Question / Help 24H Stream and Capture

Victor Gounon

Hello,

I have to set up a 24 hour stream of DJ's on Youtube. It's the first time i have to do something like this and i'm a bit lost.

I want to capture with a Panasonic GH4 at 1080p25fps ideally

Does the software is able to run during 24h ? And is there an option to configure different parameters (one for the stream one for the capture) ? The goal is to have a medium quality for the stream (via youtube) and a good quality for the capture to be able to edit it later.

Thank you for your help !

Victor

Harold

OBS has no built in time limit.

Any time limit imposed on you is outside of OBS' control.

Don't save to MP4. It has performance and stability issues that, in the case of such a stream as what you have planned, will have SEVERE consequences if you have problems.

Victor Gounon

Thanks Harold !

So what configuration do you recommend ? I have planned to save it into huge HDD so i'm not affraid about storage.

Suslik V

... Don't save to MP4. It has performance and stability issues that, in the case of such a stream as what you have planned, will have SEVERE consequences if you have problems.
He can work around by typing in Settings>Output Mode: Advanced>Recording tab>Custom Muxer Settings:
Code:
movflags=frag_keyframe min_frag_duration=4000000
Thats will create fragmented mp4 (duration of the shortest fragment defined by keyframes interval, but no less than 4sec), benefits & disadvantages:
  1. https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-formats.html said:
    Writing a fragmented file has the advantage that the file is decodable even if the writing is interrupted (while a normal MOV/MP4 is undecodable if it is not properly finished), and it requires less memory when writing very long files (since writing normal MOV/MP4 files stores info about every single packet in memory until the file is closed). The downside is that it is less compatible with other applications.
  2. multitrack support
  3. my default codecs and player reads only ~8 sec of recorded video file, but installing at least K-Lite_Codec_Pack_975_Mega (2013) solved all problems (I need codecs for avisynth post processing), maybe and more older/newer codecs will work.
Check this settings with test recording 10-15min long, try to edit - if you can, then use it (oh, if you need multitrack, of course).

For very long files on Windows NTFS filesystem required (or exFAT at least, nor FAT, nor FAT32)

Last edited:

Harold

I recommend using OBS Studio, and if you need multitrack audio, use MKV instead.
FLV and MKV don't have to worry about the underlying performance and stability problems of large MP4s.