Question / Help Whats The Point In Profiles?

ReyalpCB4

Whats the point in having profiles if switching between them only changes a couple of settings. One would assume that a profile is designed to save settings and scene setups for a user. that way if 2 people on one computer are using can easily switch to their stream setup. Considering most things on OBS work just fine and i noticed a few people complaining about this being an issue.

I myself spent an hour setting up a profile for my wife assuming it was not overwriting all my scenes and what not only to find when i switched back to the other profile nothing changed and i had essentially just deleted all my scenes in favor of the new ones i created for her.

It almost seems silly to even call this save feature PROFILES when its not actually a user PROFILE and its just saving a couple of settings that seem to be universal. and well in most cases wouldn't really need to be changed on the fly.

Its a lot easier to change a stream resolution then it is to redo an entire scene layout. so why prioritize the less used function. I also imagine in most cases the features that Profiles saving changes now are a one time setting that is dependant on the machine. IE my main desktop i always stream at 1080p and 30fps cause thats what it does well where as my laptop i do 720p. At no point would i ever need to change a profile to switch theses settings.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
I assume you have not noticed the Scene Collection section at the top of OBS?
Profiles save settings such as resolution/bitrate/streamkey/broadcast settings etc.
Scene Collection save Scenes and Sources as well as global sources.
That way you can use one profile for several different scene collections or one scene collection with different profiles.

ReyalpCB4

Thanks did not notice that before but the point still remains that its doesn't make sense to have them separate. Its confusing and why wouldn't you want your profile to have its own multiple scene set ups. Its not conducive to making it easy for multiple users to use obs. If im streaming then i get up and my wife sits down and wants to stream shes not going to use my Scenes with my logos and follower chat. Logically it doesn't make any sense to do it this way. Scene collection should be tied to the profile. A profile being a "user". That would be like if on an OS my user profile only saved what resolution i'm running but all my docs and files and how my desktop was arranged was global. It just doesn't make sense.

TL;DR
My point is its not user friendly and its not intuitive

Just saying may be something to consider for the future

D

Deleted member 30350

Haha, I didn't notice before either.
So I can use scene collections like streaming profiles for different games, without having crap ton of scenes irrelevant to what I am streaming at the moment?