What's the best architecture to solve this scenario.....

AndyHamp

So I've been playing around for days with different technologies and haven't found a good solution for what i want to do and have got to a point where I'm not sure what's the best course to pursue. I'd love to hear peoples thoughts

Problem: I need the ability to stream game footage from various platforms (Windows/PS4/Xbox) for display and capture

The key requirements: Low latency (sub second), needs to be able to run in a network that doesn't have internet access

Logical architecture would essentially be:
Console ->Capture card -> Streaming software -> Browser (To show near real time game data)
or
PC-> Streaming software -> Capture program

So my initial thoughts/tests were something like this...

PS4 -> Elgarto card -> OBS -> RTMP -> Nginx ->

For the browser HTML5 video.js and to capture launch ffplay to a file.

This works but the delay through the tool chain is 15-20 seconds which is too far away from my goal. I've tried other protocols and found it doesn't really speed things up.

So .... Is there a better way ? Is there a better set of tools (WebRTC for example which between machines in my local network is 200ms max over wi-fi but no OBS support) ? Or is there ways to achieve the low latency with OOTB features ?

Mods apologies if this is not in the best forum and for the xpost

rockbottom

NDI is probably your best bet, latency is virtually eliminated but you'll need to make sure your hardware & network meet all the requirements.

Here are links to the OBS/NDI plug-in & the NDI Tools website.

Lawrence_SoCal

for NDI a key thing to consider is # of devices sending traffic, your network, and your compute power
NDI has 2 flavors - compressed and uncompressed . Compressed uses less network bandwidth, with trade-off of extra encode/decode processing (which does not take 0 ms... but also isn't much)... just sonething to be aware of

AndyHamp

Thanks for the pointer to NDI.

Reading through it looks promising but it's not obvious how you can get a low latency video stream into a browser. I'll delve more when i have time

AndyHamp

Had a look through and set up their demos. Recording is possible but looks like it would require custom code ... no way to connect to a stream and dump to MP4 (as you could with a tool chain using ffplay/ffmpeg).
And there doesn't seem to be anyway to display in a browser. None of the HTML js libraries support NDI and the only options seem to be iOS based ie WebLink).
If i'm missing something let me know .... unfortunately their forum seems to be down atm but google is not being my friend to find solutions. Shame as the ability to capture from a Nvidia card or using the obs-ndi plugin are really nice