Question / Help What is best resolution to use when using 2 pcs?

andybeech93

HI so im hoping this is the right place to ask i am using OBS streamlabs with a 2 pc setup however my gaming pc that i mostly stream is 2060x 1080 resolution so what is the best base resolution to set stream labs output at is it that or 1080p i am streaming the output to be 720 60 fps as my avermedia is only able to stream 1080 30fps max. I do stream xbox one as well which would be 1080p to 720p 60fps
thanks

vapeahoy

stream live to twitch is 6mbit 720p. If you have a high end monster encoding solution u can do 1080p 60 fps. For 99.99% of people staying to the limits would be recommended. The exceptions are if you can get more bandwidth, ie partnered or such. And even then it will also depend on your region, stability of local servers, your viewerbase and a billion more things outside of your control.

It's not a question of what limits you want to set. And it does not mean you don't have choices for setting quality and improving what you can within the limits set forth by the service provider, ie twitch.

andybeech93

stream live to twitch is 6mbit 720p. If you have a high end monster encoding solution u can do 1080p 60 fps. For 99.99% of people staying to the limits would be recommended. The exceptions are if you can get more bandwidth, ie partnered or such. And even then it will also depend on your region, stability of local servers, your viewerbase and a billion more things outside of your control.

It's not a question of what limits you want to set. And it does not mean you don't have choices for setting quality and improving what you can within the limits set forth by the service provider, ie twitch.
Ok thanks that is good help to know, but i would like to know what base resolutions you would recommend me to use i have a 21.9 monitor which is at 2060x1080 but is being fed to a 1080x1920 monitor on the other pc (stream monitor is portrait).

vapeahoy

Ok thanks that is good help to know, but i would like to know what base resolutions you would recommend me to use i have a 21.9 monitor which is at 2060x1080 but is being fed to a 1080x1920 monitor on the other pc (stream monitor is portrait).

You are asking me what would be my subjective opinion. 2160x1080 doesn't scale all to well to anything, to "make it fit" for 720p or 1080p, you would run into into black bars or stretched image. As for what lower resolutions that work for your monitor, you're going to have to try and see what you prefer. I have no idea if it will scale well to anything else, as i dont have the same monitor.

Try 1920x960, 1440x720, maybe 1538x768. Those should scale to your monitor at 2160x1080. I havent heard of 2060x1080.

andybeech

You are asking me what would be my subjective opinion. 2160x1080 doesn't scale all to well to anything, to "make it fit" for 720p or 1080p, you would run into into black bars or stretched image. As for what lower resolutions that work for your monitor, you're going to have to try and see what you prefer. I have no idea if it will scale well to anything else, as i dont have the same monitor.

Try 1920x960, 1440x720, maybe 1538x768. Those should scale to your monitor at 2160x1080. I havent heard of 2060x1080.
Sorry my phone likes to not add numbers correct i mean 2560x1080 my main monitor is running out and this is the gaming rig which goes to an avermedia card that only allows 1080p 30fps.

BionicClick

set your base canvas to the resolution you play at and what most of your inputs are at. then set output resolution to 1280x720

the idea is that you want to keep the aspect ration the same no matter what you do.

andybeech93

set your base canvas to the resolution you play at and what most of your inputs are at. then set output resolution to 1280x720

the idea is that you want to keep the aspect ration the same no matter what you do.
thanks it seems that doing that with twitch it looks squashed? is this normal?