Weird GPU Usage (NVENC VS 3D GPU)

selkie

My obs keeps having weird usage spikes and I can't figure out what causes them. It impacts performance randomly.
I thought it was because the browser sources or Alt-tabbing, even pausing the game seems to cause it but none of those 3 produce consistant results either.

Heres what I understand (Correct me if I am wrong)
-Using NVENC makes it so OBS uses the dedicated video encoding chip on your Nvidia card. So far so good, 16-18% usage seems correct while using "GPU 0 Video encode". (First Picture) (Related to this, is it okay for OBS to use the 3D GPU? I imagine its necesary to render the preview correct?)
obs forum 1.jpg

Then, for whatever reason, spikes to 25-30% and I cant figure out what causes it, I thought it was the browser source using up to 15% (Second Picture)
obs forum 2.jpg

Hiding the browser source on the scene makes it stop using GPU, yet it still spikes to 25-30% on its own (Third Picture)
obs forum 3.jpg

(ignore the amount of cars piling up in the game, even with that it kept going down to the original 16-18%
obs forum 4.jpg

*Note: Since I took those screenshots I tried rebooting OBS and some of browser pages including "Host de ventana..." and "obs-ffmpeg" went away, in case you want to point the big amount of them, I was still left with 8 "browser page". Even with that its still the same issue, no change.

My obs Main scene currently has:
Browser sources scene, inside, there are 3 browser sources for twitch chat and alerts
Camera scene
Game scene
Background 1080p jpg
and I also want to add, I have the game scene empty, currently obs is recording the background 1080p jpg, so "movement" is not a factor.

I can't replicate the spike of usage, everything was inconsistant producing low and high usage, it seems random.
I tried causing chaos in the game (Which should increase the usage of the game, not obs)
I tried leaving the game idle.
And this also happens while streaming sometimes even reaching 60%

I can't figure out what causes this, it doesn't seem normal specially being OBS the one that spikes in usage and nothing else.
I am thinking that it might be my card but not even that, even when I had a 2060 this happened (I have a 4060 with a fresh windows install since then). I tried posting in nvidia forums back then and I only got one reply saying to play fullscreen...

Regardless, I'd be very thankful for any insight or theories because I don't know what else to try.
Thanks for reading and I hope I provided enough information.

Attachments

• obs forum 1.jpg
    obs forum 1.jpg
    855 KB · Views: 8
  • obs forum 4.jpg
    obs forum 4.jpg
    840.4 KB · Views: 9
  • obs forum 4.jpg
    obs forum 4.jpg
    853.9 KB · Views: 10
  • obs forum 3.jpg
    obs forum 3.jpg
    857.4 KB · Views: 9
  • obs forum 2.jpg
    obs forum 2.jpg
    874.2 KB · Views: 13

qhobbes

If enabled, disable browser source hardware acceleration. Also

selkie

Interestingly, I thought it was the browser hardware acceleration too. I had gone to disable it and it was already off, it had obs at 40-60%. I enabled it and it went down to the 20-30s, after that I made my post because I was so confused.

Attachments

• 2024-03-04 22-56-48.txt
    53.7 KB · Views: 11