VST3 Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

AOK

Hi.

Any possibility to make VST 3 being supported would be awesome <3

I think you had issues with Steinberg API or SDK license. But now isn't it free?

Please make it happen. :-)

WizardCM

Forum Moderator
Community Helper
After confirming with a few team members, it should be possible now as our shipped builds are GPLv3 and so are the VST3 headers. It comes down to developing it. The main developer who worked on VST 2 support in OBS is quite busy and unable to work on VST 3 support at this time. We'd love to do it though. One person is looking into ways that would require less development and better compatibility (but comes with the downside of making OBS much larger), so we'll see how that goes.

AOK

After confirming with a few team members, it should be possible now as our shipped builds are GPLv3 and so are the VST3 headers. It comes down to developing it. The main developer who worked on VST 2 support in OBS is quite busy and unable to work on VST 3 support at this time. We'd love to do it though. One person is looking into ways that would require less development and better compatibility (but comes with the downside of making OBS much larger), so we'll see how that goes.

OK after almost a year... Any progress.... And I don't really care if OBS gets bigger as long as the implementation is stable. The best VST plugins are really written only in VST3 these days. And internet gets faster and SSDs cheaper.

Mill5

I'll start by saying that I love OBS Studio and appreciate all of the hard work! But, I have the same question here, is there any new news on the front of VST3 compatability?

I'm currently looking for dynamics plugins since ReaComp has decided to not allow OBS Studio to open for the second time (not to mention I don't love the ReaPlugs). VST2 plugins with great audio quality and consistent functionality within Studio are hard to come by. I'm hoping I can find an affordable limiter tonight but will keep my fingers crossed for VST3.

EineAlteOma

Just wanted to push this thread to remind the team that VST3 Support is crucial, especially nowadays that newcomer developers don't get an official license to develop VST2 anymore there will be less and less innovation in VST2. I'd also say that this is more important than adding new video features, even more important than fixing certain bugs, because it will just lift up the whole audio part of video production back to the modern age.

Jonahan

It's fairly impossible to find plugins now that are usable in OBS. Almost EVERYTHING out there has been updated to VST3, and it's not like OBS will even say, "Sorry, can't do it." It just tries, locks up, and requires manual shutdown of all OBS processes, then manual deleting of the recently installed VST3 plugin.

I love OBS, and I love that it's free. But at this point, it might as well NOT have VST support, because nobody ELSE is supporting VST 2.x anymore. (Or at least that's what it feels like after 4 straight hours of trying to find a free VST 2.x reverb plugin.)

H4ndy

Forum Moderator
Here's the current situation with VST3 support in OBS Studio:
  • VST3 is technically possible as the license for it is now compatible with OBS' GPL license
  • You can use Andersama's VST3 plugin already to add VST3 support to your OBS Studio
  • You can use pkv's OBS Music Edition, which has the plugin above included
  • You can upvote the feature request at our Ideas page for native support in OBS - while we see the need for it, we currently have no developer available who wants to implement it. Code submissions are welcome!
This thread is now locked. All known information is linked above and we will update this post if anything changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.