VP6 support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krazy

Town drunk
VP6 is a proprietary codec, not really an option. I'm also not really sure there would be any benefit to using it over x264 encoding.

rincewind

Krazy said:
VP6 is a proprietary codec, not really an option. I'm also not really sure there would be any benefit to using it over x264 encoding.
Well, then maybe VP8 since its open-source, or at least the option to use custom encoders (like the custom x264 keys string) for advanced users, why not?
Less bandwidth usage and less delays on clientside decoding is enough benefits from my view.

paibox

heros in an halfshel

Because the Flash player, as it stands, only supports three different codecs. Sorenson Spark (basically h.263), On2 VP6 (which is a proprietary codec, and we can't use it) and h.264. Any difference in quality between h.264 and VP6 would not be beneficial anyway.

Flash Player does not support VP8, and thus it can't be used for streaming. Custom encoder support has been suggested a few times, and may make it in there, but don't hold your breath and don't expect to be able to use these custom encoders to stream to RTMP-based sites like Twitch and alike.

Tak0r

Ontop of that the latest discussion about the licesing of vp8 doesen't seem like it's a good option as a "Opensource Codec".

paibox

heros in an halfshel
So you ignored my entire post except for the word "Twitch"?

Almost all streaming services use an RTMP server of some kind. uStream, DailyMotion, YouTube, just to name a few, and the only RTMP player that has the desired features for these sites is currently Adobe Flash Player. The problem has absolutely nothing to do with streaming games, it has to do with the available infrastructure.

Like I said, support for custom encoders for local recording might get implemented, but you will not be able to stream with these, unless Adobe specifically implements support for them, or some other solution shows up.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Emotions can destroy a good topic.

Support for "custom outputs" may be totally possible in the future. I can't implement proprietary stuff into the app itself ever, but I do want to enable devs to use their own custom stuff if they so choose.

Stulander

Like I said, support for custom encoders for local recording might get implemented, but you will not be able to stream with these, unless Adobe specifically implements support for them, or some other solution shows up.

What if we're streaming to something that supports ffmpeg like VLC or MPC? I also would like VP8 support (I imagine for the exact same reason rincewind wants it)

I want to be able to open an RTMP stream using VP8 on my second monitor. It should be doable with something like FFsplit to ffmpeg but having the support in OBS would be really nice.

paibox

heros in an halfshel
Again, this will not be added to the regular version of OBS. It is perfectly possible to add custom encoder outputs to obs-studio, but we're not really going to prioritize adding support for things that are only useful for a very small minority of people, RTMP output to streaming services that are already available is always first on the list.

There is an ffmpeg output module, but it isn't very useful for the sometimes frail conditions when doing live streaming, as ffmpeg itself doesn't have any frame dropping code, so you just end up with an infinite video drift delay if you drop frames while streaming.

kidx86

Why not allow us to use custom codecs then why limit us to a crap codec like that its very crappy for quality and very crappy on resources I should not have to buy a 2g PC for this app.Also no one is asking to implement propitiatory codec just the options to run what we wanna run in the future, please think about that please.

Last edited:

paibox

heros in an halfshel
Sounds perfectly reasonable, I will think about it. Okay, done thinking, the answer is no.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
As paibox stated, this will not be added to the current version of OBS. It will be more possible to add such a function in the upcoming rewrite of OBS.

Status
Not open for further replies.